I Bought This Boat Today

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JKBogle

Reaction score
image.jpegToday, on a whim, I decided to barter for this boat. I know that it's a 14' Elgin, semi-v, built in 1950 but that's about it. I thought that the forward deck was pretty interesting. Has anyone seen a boat like this before?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    39.1 KB · Views: 1,123
Pappy said:
Yes! Have seen a couple of them. Very cool vintage hull and they run well with not a lot of horsepower.
Hope you keep it at least as pristine as it is now.

Oh yes, I plan on taking care of it. Older boats, older tools, they all have my respect. Just the fact that they are still in usable condition today is an indication of the superior craftsmanship of America at that time.

in my world, IF the floor is pressure treated,
I would just insulate the contact areas with
plastic of some sort. "seal foam" and laminate
floor underlayment foam comes to mind.

AWESOME find !! I hail from the the PRE-1960 world.

good job
oh, and WELCOME to da Bayou !!
Seal Foam.jpg

When I picked up this boat yesterday two things caught my attention. One, this boat is really freaking heavy - much heavier then I expected. Two, the metal on the boat is shinier then I'm use to seeing.

After a little bit of research, I came to realize that this boat is made out of stainless steel!!

How unique is that!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    46.8 KB · Views: 1,014
What a Find!

You gotta keep us informed, that's just too special to keep to yourself.

Congratulations on getting a Wisconsin boat, shipped for under $300. :)

Wow, never heard of a stainless boat before. I'd guess they're at least somewhat rare if not very rare. So, has it ever had any rust issues that you've found so far? :shock:

07e30bbe2bafafd9b1436de090428974.jpg

this elgin followed me home the other day. Its a 14' but its aluminum. the stainless is something i didn't know existed

Your local maker of blades
AB knives

JMichael said:
Wow, never heard of a stainless boat before. I'd guess they're at least somewhat rare if not very rare. So, has it ever had any rust issues that you've found so far? :shock:

I just found a very small rust spot on the keel near the front. I would guess it's from running agound a bunch of times.

It's hard to be sure from the pics, but is that an all wood transom I see in the pic? Would love to see more pics showing more of the detail about that boat if you have them.

JMichael said:
It's hard to be sure from the pics, but is that an all wood transom I see in the pic? Would love to see more pics showing more of the detail about that boat if you have them.

It's not an all wood transom, I t comes up almost to the rail. You can barely see it in one of the pictures. I picked up a bow mounted electric motor the other day. At first I thought the front would be ideal but it looks it's going to interfere with the anchor line.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    170.8 KB · Views: 222
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    87.8 KB · Views: 222
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    104.9 KB · Views: 222
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    112.9 KB · Views: 222
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    73.1 KB · Views: 222
The Star Tank and Boat Company (Starcraft) made a stainless steel hull before they transitioned to aluminum. I don't know the date but I believe around 1940. They likely made that hull for Elgin. The boat is a collector's item and may bring good money in a resale. I'd be very hesitant to do any mods to it until you find out more as it may be quite valuable and bring enough for you to buy a real bass boat.

VinTin said:
The Star Tank and Boat Company (Starcraft) made a stainless steel hull before they transitioned to aluminum. I don't know the date but I believe around 1940. They likely made that hull for Elgin. The boat is a collector's item and may bring good money in a resale. I'd be very hesitant to do any mods to it until you find out more as it may be quite valuable and bring enough for you to buy a real bass boat.

Where exactly would one resell a boat like this that it would appeal to collectors?