Moving gas tank.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vwguru714

Reaction score
Hello fellow tin boaters,
I have a 1996 Crestliner 16 foot side console Jon with a 50hp Mercury 2 stroke that I use on the flats. Last year I went from a 6 gallon rear mounted gas tank to a 12 gallon mounted behind the center bench on the port side. I put it on the port side so I could still cross the bench, and the bench has a livewell/storage compartment in the middle. The console is starboard behind the center bench.The bench also has 2 seats, one port, one starboard that we use quite frequently when just cruising. I've contemplated extending the front deck all the way back to the center bench with removable covers on the sides in front of the 2 seats to allow for footwells when needed. I thought about moving the fuel tank into the middle in front of the center bench to more evenly distribute the weight.
So tell me, good idea, bad idea?
Anyone have a better idea?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Just FYI, USCG regulations specify the filler neck must be such that an overfill will not spill fuel into the boat. So putting the tank in the middle of the boat would require a long fill hose, assuming code is met.

I had a 12 gallon tank under a small front deck in my duck hunting boat. It worked great to balance out the 25hp motor and the added weight was helpful when breaking through the 1.5 to 2 inches of ice to get to some of my hunting spots. My filler was through a opening in the deck, no blower needed if you have an outboard motor.

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
I had a 12 gallon tank under a small front deck in my duck hunting boat. It worked great to balance out the 25hp motor and the added weight was helpful when breaking through the 1.5 to 2 inches of ice to get to some of my hunting spots. My filler was through a opening in the deck, no blower needed if you have an outboard motor.
I will need to get a permanent tank then. Bummer, the portable tank is only a year old and I always removed it from the boat and kept it in my garage when not in use.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

My 12 gallon tank was not a permanent tank.
It was a 12 gallon red Moller portable tank.

Portable tank is OK to have in middle of boat, because you take it out to fill it.

60lbs of gas is a bit much for me to lift over the gunwale, but youngster's can handle it.