anybody use Rustoleom

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dennis8269

Reaction score
I have sanded, wire brushed and wiped down the transom area of my tracker. I am Going over the pitting and small pin holes with JB weld wet . Now I need to paint it inside and out. I came across this product at home depot. It says the zinc in it slows the corrosion process. Is this a good product to paint it with ? Ideas?

20 oz. Flat Gray Cold Galvanizing Compound https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum-Professional-20-oz-Flat-Gray-Cold-Galvanizing-Compound-6-Pack-7585838/202058773

specs; Zinc rich paint coating contains 93% zinc
Maximum corrosion resistance and durability on galvanized metal

Thanks

do you have a galvanized boat or aluminum ??
Personally - I use Rust-Oleum primers with Rust-Oleum top coat paints.
Zinc "Chromate" is for aluminum and I "think" that galvanizing paints are for iron and steel.
I would not use it on aluminum unless I could find someone or an article that explains
the "after life" on how it adhered to aluminum. Aparrantly it is not for painted surfaces.

Found on Google: RECOMMENDED USES: is widely used without topcoat in place of hot-dip galvanizing.
Also used as a high-performance base coat with a variety of topcoats. Used for repair of damaged
hot-dip galvanizing Galvalume® and zinc metallizing, regalvanizing worn hot-dip galvanizing, repair of weldments,
and repair of damaged inorganic zinc coatings. Excellent for long-term protection of structural steel, water and waste facilities, power plants, transmission towers and antennae, steel decking and bridges, and numerous OEM uses.
SUBSTRATES: Apply to properly prepared carbon steel, cast iron, hot-dip galvanized, and aluminum surfaces.

Read, Understand and Follow the instructions on the label of all products you use.
Pay particular attention to the safety notes and heed the warnings accordingly.
any rags used in the prepping/painting process that have solvents, oils or paint on them,
should be layed out in the open to completely air dry prior to discarding them.

Note: it has been discussed in other forums that Self Etching Primer
is designed for bare metal only . . . . if it goes over a painted surface,
there is the inherent risk of the SEP tunneling and burrowing under
the existing paint to create an avenue for corossion.

Thank you. My boats Aluminum . I brought this up because the guy at Home Depot was saying because it had Zinc in it that it would be great for an aluminum boat.

I was mostly looking at it as something to lay down on the raw aluminum rather then leaving it raw before I put the new transom in . I bought some Coat-It Epoxy Sealer with Kevlar® for the transom itself so maybe I will coat the aluminum with it as well.

Dennis8269 said:
I was mostly looking at it as something to lay down on the raw aluminum rather then leaving it raw before I put the new transom in . I bought some Coat-It Epoxy Sealer with Kevlar® for the transom itself so maybe I will coat the aluminum with it as well.
When I put in (or 'on' ...) my new transom I did the vinegar wash, followed by acid-etching zinc chromate primer, then the epoxy mix, which in my case was a pourable epoxy product that filled the entire transom void.

i too would not use a galvanizing metal product on tin boats. Metal trailers? Heck yes, works awesome there in fact!