Anti-freeze to stop & prevent wood rot

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A little off the "boat" subject, but pertinent to the "old" thread below.........does anyone know a safe way to protect an in-ground post from future rot? The posts are already in the ground and they are not pressure treated. They are in rlatively "dry gound" all the time as they are inside a dry barn.....but, of couse the soil still has some moisture underneath, thus the reaon for my concern.......

While not very "earth friendly", I used to work with my dad and when we put up fences, we dipped the buried ends in coal tar creosote. That is the black petroleum stuff railroad ties are soaked in to prolong their life. If you go that route, DON'T GET ANY ON YOUR SKIN. It burns and leaves a rash. Of course you probably can't even buy the stuff any more either.

Man I always thought most fishermen/outdoorsmen were pretty concerned with the environment. The fact that antifreeze is even remotely considered seems a little off. I know people like to go to the extremes on things, but this is just too far.

PS Sorry Ahab, I got to the party a little late and felt the need to add my 2 cents. Maybe this will end it??