Todays "tinkering"

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlimeTime

Reaction score
Well, yesterdays trip (maiden) in the "Gray Ghost" pointed out a couple shortcomings in the functional areas.

One was the lack of 12VDC power outlets. I had a clip-on one (that just clips onto the battery posts), but I didn't like it with the cord running out of a closed (aluminum) hatch lid. There's an outlet on the console, but I don't like anymore drain on the OB starting battery than necessary. I didn't want to drill any more holes in the boat than needed, or install items that can't easily be removed and be nearly impossible to ever know they were there.

Front (hard to see, but it's there):
front12vdc.jpg

Rear (wire you see is transducer wire):
rear12vdc.jpg

Next was the transducer. When new, it mounted via a couple suction cups, which have since long rotted away. Dad bolted a couple of mini-clamps (for conduit & piping) to it, which slipped on the TM shaft. This didn't work well on the boat yesterday, and was such a PITA, I didn't even use the FF.

So today I went looking for a couple suction cups that would accept a 1/4"X20 bolts......no luck, so I did the next best thing :wink: I bought 2 little hand plungers ($1.29 each) at Menards, cut the threaded ends off the handles & drilled them to accept #10 brass bolts.

Then it was just a matter of bolting the threaded "stubs onto the transducer bracket, threading the plunger suction cups to them:
tdmount-3.jpg

tdmount-2.jpg

.......sticking them to the transom.
td-mount.jpg

I also had a small landing net, that was perfect for large panfish I didn't want to risk losing. Since having a deep-V boat, and a bad back aren't a good combination, I solved the problem by removing the 2 screws holding the short handle to the nets loop/frame. I had an aluminum extension handle for a paint-roller that I used to make skunk-poles with (for injecting skunks to put them to "sleep"). I cut the threaded end off the extension, removed the smaller diameter inner pole, flattened it (the larger/outer pole) alittle to accept the loop/frame of the small net, re-drilled the 2-holes, and here's the finished product....best part, no stooping-over to net fish :wink:

ST
smallnet.jpg

dedawg1149 said:
hey slimetime how good do the suction cups work?any risk of coming off at wot

Unsure DD, but it won't be a problem to pull it off during those times. I should have added that I'm going to attach a tether line to it (in the event it comes loose) to keep it out of the OB prop. Worse-case I'm out $3 :D

ST

In the first picture, I can see that you are having the same carpet problems as me..... :shock:

bassboy1 said:
In the first picture, I can see that you are having the same carpet problems as me..... :shock:
This boat was re-carpeted prior to my getting it. I can't believe whoever did it didn't wrap the carpet over to the back-side. The panel needs to be removable, but I don't know why they left a raw edge like that. If I can find a similar piece I'll probably end-up re-doing it.

ST

Could you use some of the exsisting holes (that currently have screws in them) to mount the transducer? That seems like a pretty awkward job, especially with a bad back to reattach it if the suction cups don't hold.

SlimeTime said:
dedawg1149 said:
hey slimetime how good do the suction cups work?any risk of coming off at wot

Unsure DD, but it won't be a problem to pull it off during those times. I should have added that I'm going to attach a tether line to it (in the event it comes loose) to keep it out of the OB prop. Worse-case I'm out $3 :D

ST

I was just going to recommended the tether - just drill a hole in the mounting bracket and then use a bungee cord - that way no drilling into your boat :D

OK, here's "tinkering" #2 that was put to the test today....30MPH +, and the transducer never came-off the transom once. I gotta say I was plesantly suprised. If you need a temporary mount, or don't want holes.....here ya go! :wink: IT WORKS!

ST

dedawg1149 said:
good to hear i would of never thought it would stay =D>

I had my doubts too....but it stayed-on all day, and we ran the lake a fair amount (4-5 miles each way, and we were from 1 end to the other). FWIW, I put it on underwater, after launching.

ST

Latest posts