Sylvan 1600 Explorer Jerky Steering

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wingsdrew16

Reaction score
Guys,
I Last winter I replaced my decking and carpet. In the process I disconnected the steering cable from the steering wheel but not the from the motor and had the cables sitting outside the boat. After reassembling everything (greased the cable before putting it back in) and getting the boat back in the water noticed the steering is real jerky, particularly at slower speeds and just when I change direction. At speed it isn't quite as bad.
I didn't notice anything that looked wrong when I reassembled but I must have done something.
Any ideas on what it might be and how I can fix it?
Thanks for the help.
Andy

Play in the steering, like you can turn the wheel some before the outboard starts to turn? I have a rack & pinion type steering set up. I don't know if there is any adjustment behind the wheel. If not, that only leaves the connection to your outboard. Maybe identify your steering cable type and then look up an install manual.

Sorry I can't be more help.

Cables corrode & get stiff like you describe. Maybe it sucked in moisture during the winter when it was exposed. Trying to grease it is a waste of time.

They are not overly expensive to replace, esp if you consider how much safer your boat will be with good steering.

Did you put the 'lock pin' back in correctly? Sounds like that is the source of the BACKLASH you are feeling; slipping one way or the other as you change direction. That pin locks the inside cable in place on the rotor on the helm, so as to move the entire cable to turn the OB.

Lookat your helm model for any ID and search online to get the install manual/instructions.

I had the protector cap on it all winter as I read I was supposed to & greased it based on the recommendation I had read at the time. I believe the pin is in correctly... I will take it apart again and re-install to see if anything improves.