Sylvan 1600 Explorer Deck & Carpet

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wingsdrew16

Reaction score
Hello! New to the site and grateful such a forum is out there. This winter I am going to replace the decking and carpet on my 1600 Huntsman. This is my first boat (of this class) and I am an absolute Noob so this should be interesting. I have carpentry/woodworking skills but nothing like this. I am certain there are going to be a variety of unanticipated lessons but I am confident the wealth of knowledge here on this site that will help me see the project through.
If there is any advice that anyone would give prior to the start I would appreciate any guidance.
Andy97 Sylvan 1600 Explorer.jpg

I might make one small change to the support on the starboard side but come to find out it has a metal cap so if I want to reduce (make it a little smaller) I will need to cut a section out and reweld. It is about 8" now and would like it to be 4-5" max. Just don't want to get over my head (maybe too late already).
I did find out that the main floor boards are 1/2" not 3/4" like I was expecting and have read not to add any weight (replacing with 3/4") so I guess I will keep it that way.
The one thing I can't figure out yet is I can't figure out how to remove the very front board at the top of the bow. It is a piece of 1/2" + 3/4" stacked. I can find any screws holding it but it won't budge.
Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Andy

DaleH said:
Look at a lot of projects here ... for sure! And consider marine vinyl over carpet, but that's admittedly just my bias.

I have never seen the vinyl. What is the rationale of going that way? I'm interested in other options but will need to look at the cost. Don't want to spend more than I anticipated (that is already at risk due to some cracking in the console).
If you don't mind can you expand on advantages of vinyl?

DaleH said:
Look at a lot of projects here ... for sure! And consider marine vinyl over carpet, but that's admittedly just my bias.

Is there a manufacturer you would recommend for vinyl? I just looked at some rubberized flooring that I would very much like but it was way more money than carpet.

Wingsdrew16 said:
DaleH said:

Is there a manufacturer you would recommend for vinyl? I just looked at some rubberized flooring that I would very much like but it was way more money than carpet.
Brand - Nautolex Marine Vinyl

Source - Defender Marine, see: https://www.defender.com/category.jsp?id=2276202&path=-1%7C2276179%7C2276198

Advantages - Doesn’t hold dirt or sand, brushes off easily, power washes simply & fast, or just rinse off. Lasts significantly (2-3X if not more) longer than carpet, especially on boats exposed to the sun, and looks better even ‘when old’. To my eye on used boats, nothing looks more ratty and unappealing than old, rotting carpet on a boat and yet the Starcraft 16’ in my signature was 21-years old when sold and the marine vinyl was still intact and looked great!

Doesn’t hold water and I feel it is better for saltwater use boats.

Disadvantages - No where as soft as carpet and doesn’t have have the ‘look’ of finished carpeted boats “at least when new”. But of the 1,000s and 1,000s of posts on here about people re-doing carpet, I’ve only ever read of ONE person re-doing marine vinyl.

In the end though - it is a personal choice. But for a simple ‘don’t worry about’ floor covering that doesn’t care about sun exposure or if it get wet? Marine vinyl gets the nod for me.

DaleH said:
Wingsdrew16 said:
DaleH said:

Brand - Nautolex Marine Vinyl

Source - Defender Marine, see: https://www.defender.com/category.jsp?id=2276202&path=-1%7C2276179%7C2276198

Advantages - Doesn’t hold dirt or sand, brushes off easily, power washes simply & fast, or just rinse off. Lasts significantly (2-3X if not more) longer than carpet, especially on boats exposed to the sun, and looks better even ‘when old’. To my eye on used boats, nothing looks more ratty and unappealing than old, rotting carpet on a boat and yet the Starcraft 16’ in my signature was 21-years old when sold and the marine vinyl was still intact and looked great!

Doesn’t hold water and I feel it is better for saltwater use boats.

Disadvantages - No where as soft as carpet and doesn’t have have the ‘look’ of finished carpeted boats “at least when new”. But of the 1,000s and 1,000s of posts on here about people re-doing carpet, I’ve only ever read of ONE person re-doing marine vinyl.

In the end though - it is a personal choice. But for a simple ‘don’t worry about’ floor covering that doesn’t care about sun exposure or if it get wet? Marine vinyl gets the nod for me.

Great information. Thank you.

I need help to figure out how to take that stacked piece of plywood off the bow? There are no screws remaining in it on the bottom side but it won't budge. My last resort of course is to just smash it to get it out but I really don't want to do that if I don't have to. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.
Andy

Attachments

• 19.jpg
    19.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 126
Check 1st to see if any long screws were put in through the side via the rubrail. I'd then try a heat gun on one edge, as maybe it was also 'glued' in ... but otherwise I'd find something BIG to whack it with, LOL!

Latest posts