Automotive Primer Use?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarryA

Reaction score
Will an epoxy automotive primer be good for an aluminum hull as a base for final painting?

That is what we used on my truck.The front fenders,hood,and doors are aluminum.No problems until someone slung something acidic all over the hood and passenger fender.I am still :evil: over it happening.I just painted the truck 3 years ago.

You're good with the epoxy for aluminum (as well as stainless, steel, etc). However I think you need to pre-treat the aluminum with chromate conversion. To be real honest, not having fooled with it for awhile I can't remember. Best thing to do would be to stop in at an automitive paint supplier (not Lowes, or a lumber comnpany) and ask to be sure about the pre-treat. Be sure you're aware of application temps, as they can play a factor as well.

ST

SlimeTime said:
You're good with the epoxy for aluminum (as well as stainless, steel, etc). However I think you need to pre-treat the aluminum with chromate conversion. To be real honest, not having fooled with it for awhile I can't remember. Best thing to do would be to stop in at an automitive paint supplier (not Lowes, or a lumber comnpany) and ask to be sure about the pre-treat. Be sure you're aware of application temps, as they can play a factor as well.

ST

I didn't even think of that. #-o It's a good idea if you are priming bare aluminum.

Latest posts