Carpeting question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poolie

Reaction score
In the next week or so I'll be ready to carpet the new decking I'm working on now so am starting to research how best to get a professional look.

I see that a lot of guys pull the carpet to the underside of the deck board and staple. Is this really necessary? Obviously if you have an exposed edge that makes sense, but otherwise I wouldn't think you need it. My initial thoughts are to just glue it down to the deck, let it dry and trim around the edges. I would think the rubber backing of the carpet would minimize any raveling. Yes, no?

-- Poolie

The main reason in my mind to wrap the carpet is to keep it tight.. if you are going to use glue or spray adhesive, you should be fine, but it only takes one snag of something to pull it up and then you'll have to go back and glue it down again.

One other thing wrapping it does is that it protects the wood from moisture.. the more rubber you have, the less potential for water damage - if you only glue the edges, make sure that you seal the edges of the wood good with either poly or stain.. I am a real proponent for colored deck paint/stain... If I had some left over I'd meet up with you some where and give you some to do your decking with. I painted my decks with some stuff from Sherwin Williams.. it was like $30 a gal, and I had enough left over to do my decking with. I'll check when I get home to see if I have some left over - I just remembered a place I might have stashed some.

I have done both methods and the glue is deffinately the way to go. Get some outdoor carpet adhesive. It comes in a gallon tub, youll need some applicators too (small plastic with grooves cut in it.) This stuff is great it will not let go by just something pulling on it. I have stapled too and although it works it doesnt give the same professional look. This is the third boat ive done and the second one ive carpeted. I feel this is the best way. Glue is pretty cheap dont skimp on it but dont glob it on either. Here is a picture of my boat in progress. Lowes outdoor carpet and glue:

Attachments

• boat.jpg
    boat.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 413
i've always glued my carpet down, let dry. flip it over, cut your releaf slits, pull the carpet back, and staple it down all the way around the backside. after that, just go back with a razor knife and trim it up.

taylornelms said:
I have done both methods and the glue is deffinately the way to go. Get some outdoor carpet adhesive. It comes in a gallon tub, youll need some applicators too (small plastic with grooves cut in it.) This stuff is great it will not let go by just something pulling on it. I have stapled too and although it works it doesnt give the same professional look. This is the third boat ive done and the second one ive carpeted. I feel this is the best way. Glue is pretty cheap dont skimp on it but dont glob it on either. Here is a picture of my boat in progress. Lowes outdoor carpet and glue:

Welcome Aboard! Nice carpet work, and I see I'm not the only one to use clamps and strips of wood to hold it in place until dries to the odd-shaped areas. 8)

Latest posts