Marine-tex...any opions/tips?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YamahaC40Guy

Reaction score
I paid a visit to a local marina last night to have a look at the bilge pump options, and got to speaking with one of the technicians there re: leaky aluminum boats. He asked how bad the leak was..I described it, and he sold me one of these kits; https://www.marinetex.com/marinetexepoxyputty.html He explained how they used the product there and had never had anyone return with issues. He also mentioned that they fill the boats with up to 10"-12" of water to find the leak(s) saying that sometimes...only a couple of inches won't generate enough pressure to make the problem spot that obvious. Made sense. Do you guys have anything to say about this product, good or bad? I've had excellent dealings with this marina, and they've been around for some time.

Cheers,
Rob

It's a great product. I've used it for years to repair nicks in the gel coat on my fiberglass boats. I've never used it on alum.

Be very careful about adding 12" of water to your boat if it is still on the trailer. Anytime there is a hurricane coming I fill my alum. boats with 3"-4" of water. During Katrina I did this and didn't take the boat off the trailer. It was under a shed with no sides and rain water blew in. It filled the boat too 12"+ and bent the frame of my trailer.

Thanks for the input, I did think that sounded a little excessive. I'm hoping that when (if?) I'm able to find the leak, it won't be near the bunk/rails on the trailer. I'm not bothered enough by the slow leak to start taking everything apart to address the issue. BTW, they make this product in white and gray.

Rob

Hey guys~found the leak(s) in my boat tonight, and she is drying/airing out tonight. I was sort of hoping I'd see water coming from a rivet but instead, it was from a seam where 2 pcs. of aluminum come together. Am I best off treating the seam, or the rivets that may be the culprits? I saw no water coming from them. Also, being a seam, is the Marine-tex the best way to address it, or should I be using 3M marine silicone?.

Thanks for taking the time to respond,
Rob

my boat also leaks at the seam. im gonna use steelflex epoxy to cover the seams.

Latest posts