FIRST BOAT PROJECT

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ford4x4dad

Reaction score
HELLO, THIS IS MY FIRST BOAT PROJECT AND I'M REALLY GLAD I FOUND THIS SITE BECAUSE I REALLY NEED SOME HELP!!! DOES ANY ONE HAVE A BOAT LIKE MINE WHO CAN TELL ME MORE ABOUT IT??? THE BMV TELLS ME I HAVE TO KNOW MAKE(SEA KING), MODEL, HULL NUMBER, WHICH WOULD BE FINE BUT THERE ARE NO NUMBERS OF ANY KIND ON THIS BOAT, SO I'M THIMKING PRE '72????? BUT LADY AT LICENSE BRANCH IS CONVINCED THAT "ALL BOATS" REGARDLESS OF AGE HAVE A HULL INDENTIFICATION NUMBER. ANY BODY HAD THIS PROBLEM????ANY SOLUTIONS??? THANKS

ford4x4dad said:
BUT LADY AT LICENSE BRANCH IS CONVINCED THAT "ALL BOATS" REGARDLESS OF AGE HAVE A HULL INDENTIFICATION NUMBER.
She's wrong. Plain and simple.

Where are you from. Every state has its own way of doing registration, and I haven't yet found one that does it efficiently.

VINCENNES INDIANA, WHERE ALL BOATS HAVE NUMBERS!!!!I THINK I MIGHT CALL DNR TO COME OUT TO LOOK AT MY BOAT IF THEY WILL DO THAT!!??? BMV IS NO HELP AT THIS POINT. I'VE ALREADY GOT THE MINKOTA STALKER TROLLING MOTOR AND VINYL SEATS THAT CAME LOOSE WITH THE BOAT PLUS I BOUGHT A 9.9 EVINRUDE. IT'S GONNA BE NICE WHEN I'M DONE... PROBABLY NEXT SPRING WHEN I CAN GET IT LEGAL FOR THE WATER!!!!

Post up some pictures so we know whether or not we have a boat like yours. Where did you buy it or get it from? No little ID stickers in the rear? Title?

I CAN'T UPLOAD THE PICS FOR SOME REASON IT SAYS THE FILE IS TOO BIG SO I'LL HAVE MY WIFE SHOW ME HOW TO RESIZE THE PICS AND POST THEN. GOT THE BOAT, LOOSE SEATS, MINKOTA STALKER FROM A FRIEND OF MY NIEGHBOR WHO HAS SINCE MOVED BUT THE GUY IS THE LOCAL CULLIGAN MAN SO I KNOW WHERE HE IS. HE GOT IT FROM THE AMISH AUCTION HOUSE SO HE HAS NO PAPERS OR HISTORY OF THE BOAT. IT DOES HAVE A MICHIGAN STICKER ON IT BUT THE NUMBERS AND DATE ARE MESSED UP.THIS SUX I'M READY TO BOAT NOW!!!

Either it pre 72 or the plate was screen printed like mine and has faded out completely.Is there a different office you can go to?

This is a Sea King that is all I know.
BOAT22-1.jpg

very simular to mine, the only diff. is my bench seats are rivited to the sides. mines an 82. your plate should be rivited on the right side of the transom

Having the same ID problem with mine ford4x4dad. Mine is a '73 Mirrocraft with the ID plate worn..

Living in Ontario Canada I was lucky enough to transfer as the hull numbers stay with boat and they are lenient over here
Good luck and I hope you get to transfer as she looks like a fun skiff to customize.
Nice boat though can't wait to see the progress on yours as I am just starting mine soon..

IDPlate.jpg

Nipper

On my old SeaNymph the HIN is stamped in a metal tag that is tacked onto the wood of the transom. It wouldn't take much to pull it off. Maybe this is what happened in your case.

got my numbers today!!! :D not as big of hassle as thought, like my wife told me since shes sitting right here. bill of sale, police check, poof!!! and i have numbers =D> having HIN plate made, should have it tommorow or monday. next, paint boat and name it. pics soon to follow