what size boat will be suitable?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slim1990

Reaction score
i am looking at getting a jon boat and doing alittle modification such as carpeted floors seats and some storage in a raised platform on front. i am about 285 and 6'2" and looking for something with some satbility to make it possible to fish out of. i was thinking something about 14-16 feet with a floor width of 48 inches, would this work or would it still be to narrow?

14-16' is a good size. If you need more space, they do have wider ones available. Just a little bit more expensive, but in the long run will be a great benefit because of the litmitless possibilities you have with it.

I would recommend you go with as big of a boat as you can afford, You will be thankful for the extra space once you get started moding and the long run. Just me talking here, If I were gonna deck a jonboat, and had to choose the minimum size I wanted.....I would try to find a 1448, with of course, a 1648/1654 being even better. I like a good steady fishing platform.

1448 or 1648 would be just fine. You would probably be fine with a 1442, but at your size, it would be a little less stable. You won't want a 1436, however.

slim1990 said:
i am looking at getting a jon boat and doing alittle modification such as carpeted floors seats and some storage in a raised platform on front. i am about 285 and 6'2" and looking for something with some satbility to make it possible to fish out of. i was thinking something about 14-16 feet with a floor width of 48 inches, would this work or would it still be to narrow?

:WELCOME:

I agree with the others.As big as you can afford.I wouldn't go any smaller than a 1448.

slim,
we're about the same size.
Personally, I wouldn't feel comfortable standing or sitting on any raised platform.
Instead, I prefer a rig with big open space in the middle.
Here's a pic of mine.

SDC12192.jpg

You're a big dude, get a big boat.

You will not regret it, it will be more stable, have more room to move around & more storage.

Go with a 1648 with an open floor plan and at least a 25 hp.

If I was going to buy another jon boat, it would be a 1548VBW or 1652VBW G3:
https://www.g3boats.com/JonBoats/#overhead