New Camera and 1st time processing HDR's

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robr3004

Reaction score
Just picked up a new camera the other day, wasn't the exact model I wanted, but I couldn't afford the additional $1500 for the camera I really wanted. Either way the new camera is a huge improvement over my last model that was purchased 8 years ago.

I've been into Photography for a while now and never really liked Photoshop'n my photos. Always liked the idea that this is how I shot the photo with no editing. Kinda of a challenge to really get a unique photo with out any edits. Anyway, a buddy of mine started processing HDR photos (High Dynaic Range) and the looked awesome. So I decided it was time to try it out. I was really impressed with my first processed images. Here they are:

1st HDR processed Photo of an Old Farm House
5177095585_93fa6d8db1_z.jpg

Old Emergency Phone line at my firehouse
5177700372_3177e0994f_z.jpg

My Firehouse
5177699552_698569ed35_z.jpg

So do you use photoshop or another program? I started looking at some HDR photos and trying settings out. Some turned out great, others were just over the top. Been using GIMP and alternating from 'fake dhr' from one image and the other script to use 3 images.

Good shots!

I use Gimp and still haven't figured-out all of the stuff it has, lol. I mostly use the crop, brightness/contrast, levels, curves, unsharpen mask, and the destaurate when I do a conversion to b&w. Have also found the Rotate and Perspective deals handy at times when I have something not level.

Nice set! I like the last one the best.

Where they shot on a tripod? Does your camera have auto bracketing?

What camera did you get?

Thanks, the Last one I still need to tweak. I want to level out the building.

I try to shoot all my landscapes with a Tripod, especially when shooting bracketed photos. Make it much easier to align the photos when merging them.

I ended up getting the Canon 7D and it can shoot 3 bracketed photos. I would like to shoot 5, but its not really necessary.

robr3004 said:
I ended up getting the Canon 7D and it can shoot 3 bracketed photos. I would like to shoot 5, but its not really necessary.

Pics look great, and I am jealous, I was saving for a 50D, that kind of went out the window with all I have going on. Now they replaced it with the 60D that I have no interest in. I'll start saving again one of these days for the 7D.

They are buying me a new T2i in January for work and that will be at my disposal 24/7, oh well I'll get by. LOL

Codeman said:
robr3004 said:

Pics look great, and I am jealous, I was saving for a 50D, that kind of went out the window with all I have going on. Now they replaced it with the 60D that I have no interest in. I'll start saving again one of these days for the 7D.

They are buying me a new T2i in January for work and that will be at my disposal 24/7, oh well I'll get by. LOL

I'm sure you can still find a new 50D, Ebay usually has some. Or why not buy a used one with low shutter count.

robr3004 said:

Really? Maybe you should of went with Nikon :mrgreen:. My D300 can Bracket 3,5,7 and 9 shots. I like to use the 5 to 7 shot one more then the 3 shot.