1982 Johnson Seahorse 15 hp

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It sold before I could make an appointment with the guy...oh well, maybe something else will pop up. Where can I get a compression tester and how do I use the thing?

you can buy one from almost any parts store

basically has a plug that screws into the spark plug port w/ a guage on it. for 2strokes you turn the motor over a few times to get your reading.

on twin cylinder engines make sure you disconnect the ing. system, ive seen um start before with people doing compression readings

So other than starting the motor and doing a compression test, what other quick test can I do on a motor I am considering purchasing off of Craigslist?

Mike,
How would I disable the ignition system? Is it pretty straightforward?

BottomDweller said:
So other than starting the motor and doing a compression test, what other quick test can I do on a motor I am considering purchasing off of Craigslist?

Mike,
How would I disable the ignition system? Is it pretty straightforward?
Pull the spark plug wires.
Pull both spark plugs when doing the compression test. If it's a pull start motor pull the cord about 6 times. You would like the compression to be over 100 psi in each cylinder and you want the 2 cylinders to be within 10% of each other.