'58 Super Seahorse

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdret

Reaction score
I'll be taking a road trip on Monday to pick up a 1958 Johnson Super Seahorse 35 I found on CL. It's kinda working out as he's out of town until Sunday night, hence I'll be the first one to see it on Monday morning. Hopefully, this will be powering my '56 Rocket sometime late next summer.

Attachments

• supersea35.jpg
    supersea35.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 529
Neat old engine! they were pretty bulletproof runners and the SuperQuiet series engine was OMC's first attempt at incorporating noise reduction into the styling of the engine. They will idle down to almost nothing, are torque monsters for their time. Can be used for skiing easily, etc. that one is in great shape from the looks of it. That's a '57 electric start 35hp on the back of my Alumacraft in the avatar photo. I converted it back to tiller steer to suit me.

Beauty! I love those old motors. Here's a pic of my 1958 Evinrude Fastwin.

Attachments

• IMG_1910.JPG
    IMG_1910.JPG
    241.7 KB · Views: 499
Well, I got it home and tinkered around with it a bit. The pull start assembly case is cracked, as well as the face plate to the carb. The only damage to the hood is the front door is cracked and the plastic emblems as well, but that's nothing new for a 52 year old motor. As luck would have it, a fella in south MS has one he's parting out that has everything but the emblems. I'd post some more pics, but the uploader is acting funny tonight.

I like the Evinrudes, too. That will probably be the next motor I put on a boat. There's a 16 foot Texas Maid I've been keeping my eye on that had a twin engine option....couple of Evinrude 40's on the back would look pretty nice.

BaitCaster said:
If you are looking for decals/paint/parts for your motor this is a good resource - https://www.nymarine.ca/

Yep, came across that on another thread I was reading. Just got a quote back from him for the green and gold paint for the '56 Scott Atwater 7.5. I probably need to go ahead and order the paint for the Seahorse as well.....looks like his permit to buy or store paint is going away and he'll sell what he's got left in stock.