Electronic Rev Limiter

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gajet31

Reaction score
I have been having some problems with my motor recently, and I believe I have found the solution. A quick synopsis of the problem

I have a 50 hp Mercury jet, that recently has been running bad. Whenever I would run full throttle, it would make a loud skipping noise. I believed the problem to be cavitatioin (sucking air instead of water). After speaking with a knowledgeable source, I now believe the problem to be the rev limiter. This seems correct, as when I hammer down to get on plane, and when I try to run wide open, it makes the skipping noise.

So, what can yall tell me about the electronic rev limiter? The mechanic I spoke to said to just unplug it, but will this hurt the motor? Anyone with similar problems? All input is appreciated. Hopefully I can get it all worked out this weekend.

By the way, I have no idea what the recommended RPM range is for my motor. I just checked the manual and noticed it is for a 25hp.... Don't know what thats all about... But anyway, I just wanted that to be known. And I also don't have a tachometer for the motor. I am not sure if any of this matters, since I have a jet and prop pitch doesn't affect me, but I wanted to throw it out there.

And yes, if you have a 2006 Mercury 50 Classic, this is an invitation to help me figure out the rpm range.
Thanks

This is for an outboard, should be close

Manufacturer: Mercury
Model: "EFI"
Year: 2006
Horsepower: 50.0
Cylinders: 4
Type: 4 stroke
Gear Ratio: 1.83:1
Min WOT RPM: 5500
Max WOT RPM: 6000

The rev limiter usually doesn't come into play when in gear and running, it is there to keep you from pushing the RPMs too high when there is no load on the engine, because that will blow up a power head pretty fast.

When running under load it should not come into play.

You can try unplugging it to run it and see if it stops stumbling, if it does cool, but I bet it is something else.