18 hp evinrude kicks out of gear

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajg6989

Reaction score
My 18 hp evinrude 1960 I recently picked up for a 22 rifle is kicking out of gear into neutral if i hold the lever it stays in gear but you can feel the jump from power to no power back to power.

and the gear oil is light gray. and the lower shift shaft has about an eight of an inch play inside the lower bolt

The shifting problem sound's like a clutch dog issue. I had a 76 evinrude 25hp with the same problem. I had rounded lobes on the clutch dog. I reversed the clutch dog to make it work. It's been running fine for the last five years (now my brothers motor). Check the shift linkage, but my money's on it being a clutch dog issue.

the brass linkage is stripped out so have to get a new one and change the oil in the gear housing then see what I get

If the linkage is that bad you might luck out and fix your problem by replacing the linkage. Lot less work for sure.

forward is all the way up on the shaft and with the drop of an 1/8" from the stripped out bolt that might be enough for it to try and kick out of gear as neutral is down

got a 25hp longshaft lower unit to replace mine cheaper than a clutch dog and also has a 4 blade prop as well. My boat is a 69 microcraft that the transom was raised up flush so a long shaft is better suited.

Latest posts