1980 johnson 25 hp''tell tale''

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawnfish

Reaction score
correct me if im wrong, the water intake is just above the prop where the screen is? i was adjusting my idle in the garage with it in a tank and i noticed no water coming out(only ran for 30 secs. if that) i replaced my impeller in the fall and it had water coming out over the weekend. how far up should the waterline be on the motor in the tank? water pump is not self priming right?

The water should be up past the screen, or intake. And I would get the lower unit as deep in the water as you can. However, have you checked to see if a bug plugged up the hole. I know this has happened to several of us and numerous times. I use the air hose with a blower and blow it out. Once you know it is open and not obstructed, then make sure that the water is well over the intake and put the lower unit as deep in the water as you can.

iwas well above the intake and cavitation plate(4 or 5 inches above plate). how could a bug get through the screen? the hole on the tell tale is bigger than the holes on the screen......anywho, i will post when i get it figured out and any more ideas are welcome. thanks guys.....

i had the same problem when i ran my '69 20hp johnson in a 3' diameter deep bucket. it didn't pee any water. the motor came free with my tin so i wasn't to upset. i went to my local marine shop to get an impeller kit and the mechanic said the motor will not prime in a barrel because there it too much cavitation. he suggested i back the boat up to the lake and try it there and he was right! it was peein like crazy and im on my 3rd season with it. i'm not sure if the '80's are the same

Express said:
i had the same problem when i ran my '69 20hp johnson in a 3' diameter deep bucket. it didn't pee any water. the motor came free with my tin so i wasn't to upset. i went to my local marine shop to get an impeller kit and the mechanic said the motor will not prime in a barrel because there it too much cavitation. he suggested i back the boat up to the lake and try it there and he was right! it was peein like crazy and im on my 3rd season with it. i'm not sure if the '80's are the same

too much cavitation???? i will be at the ole fishin hole in about four hours, i will let ya know..

Not that a bug was sucked up through the screen intake, and plugged the line. But rather that a bug built a nest in the pee hole. We have a wasp that will build a small nest out of mud and plug the hole. This will keep the water from coming out. Try blowing up the pee hole with an air hose or run a piece of coat hanger up the pee hole and make sure there are no obstructions.

Wow, alot of different and varied answers here! The correct answer for that engine is that the waterpump should be fully submerged while in a test tank. The waterpump is located on top of the gearcase. That means that the complete gearcase (meaning all the way to the exhaust housing parting line) should be submerged plus a few more inches. Try to get the lower mounts under the static waterline on that engine.

If it only ran for 30 seconds it may not have been hot enough for the thermostat to open and allow water to pass through. At least this is the case with my '88 Johnson 25 hp. It takes mine about a minute to heat up. Also, mine needs to be quite deep in a tank for water to cycle through. Muffs work very poorly if at all.

i did get to the lake and it worked fine, i also tried the muffs and they did work. i just couldnt stop thinking about it working in the tank as it always did before so i let it run for a minute or so and it did start peeing, and the waterline was just above the lower/exaust housing joint. thanks to all for the advice!!!!! love this site! ive learned a ot from all of you and think im gonna try to find a motor that wont run and see if i can fix fix her, it really relaxes me......

Mojo^ said:
If it only ran for 30 seconds it may not have been hot enough for the thermostat to open and allow water to pass through. At least this is the case with my '88 Johnson 25 hp. It takes mine about a minute to heat up. Also, mine needs to be quite deep in a tank for water to cycle through. Muffs work very poorly if at all.

The thernostat has nothing to do with the overboard indicator. The indicator line will start flowing as quickly as the block can fill. If yours is taking a long time then maybe its time to look at the water pump.