1974 Johnson 6hp - Blown Head Gasket - Project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreatWhite

Reaction score
Hey Gang

I picked up a 1974 Johnson Seahorse 6hp, the previous owner said it ran ok last season, but this season he could not get it to start...I quized him on what he did to try to get it running, he said "Nothing", I just want to get rid of it.

Paid $75 for it, clean engine. All original.

I got it running after half hour of pulling, and it would not idle, just mid-high power....

I did the following in my spare time over the past month or two:

Rebuild fuel pump
New fuel lines
Overhaul carb

It was still a bear to start, won't idle......so I pulled the plugs to check them, and WOW...found fresh clean water in the lower cylinder plug! Either a cracked cylinder or blown gasket.

Got a gasket, pulled the head, and yup...Blown.

Surfaced the head/cylinder, reassembled, and today took to the lake....>WOW!! Started on first pull, idles perfectly, and picked up quite a bit of power in top end!

With the other work, I have a solid, clean engine, to push my 12' Mirrocraft...for about $115 total out of pocket including the engine!

Here are a few pics of my head gasket job:

Attachments

• E02.jpg
    E02.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 753
  • E03.jpg
    E03.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 753
  • E01.jpg
    E01.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 753
  • E04.jpg
    E04.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 753
  • E07.jpg
    E07.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 753
  • E08.jpg
    E08.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 753
Hey Great White, you did a great job!!! =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Paying attention to compression, spark, and fuel paid off for you!! You noticed in the picture where you showed the blown head gasket and you also showed that new head gasket you purchased, well the older head gasket were known to have issues at the spots you displayed. The new head gasket has fire rings(which the older gaskets did not have) around the cylinders holes to protect from it from failing.

You motor looks great and all it took was a little patience, time and as money goes ($75 for the motor and $115 parts and stuff)= $190.0 is awesome total price for a good running motor!!!!

That motor will give you years of great service if you maintain her properly!!!!! Beats paying couple of thousand dollar for a motor that you service yourself and do the same job!!!

Again awesome job sir!!! :D :D :D :D =D> =D> =D> =D>

THX Cajun....

I took her out today, put alot of use on the motor....runs great!

And to clarify, the $115 is for the whole project, including the motor!!

Motor...........................$75
Fuel Pump rebuild kit.....$11
Carb overhaul kit..........$14
Head Gasket.................$15

I guess I can add about $9 shipping too....so it was $125 or so!

Love the project, love the little motor....

Latest posts