9.9+1448=no plane??

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gotmuddy

Reaction score
I am buying a new boat this weekend, a early '80s lowe 1448 mainly for my merc jet but when I want to fish the buffalo river I will need my trusty mariner 9.9. will I be able to plane out or will I be pushing water?

If it is just you and some gear you will plane no problem. I planed with my 9.9 on my 2001 1467 lowe with me and both my boys (about 85lbs together) without a problem.

My 1648 planed out with my 9.9 Johnson. It didn't lift the boat out of the water that much but I got almost 20mph before mods. I haven't run it with mods yet.

There's a video in my post and a trial run.
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=22353&start=15#p233331

that is good to hear. I want to put small front and rear decks in. rear deck will just be from the rear bench back to the transom. I have a manual jackplate I will be using as well so that will help.

That is a great video of you and your boy Jay :) I have 2 boys, one just a little older than yours and one just a little younger and they love going out in the boat.

After I did my mods to my boat the 9.9 wouldn't plane my boat anymore. So I did a mod and made it a 15hp which would plane it about as fast as the 9.9 in your video Jay. But I just got a 25hp Johnson and did a mod to that and it is a 30hp now. Today we took it out for the first time and it is scary fast lol. The boys absolutely had a blast even though it was only 34 degrees out. Lots of red faces with big smiles. :lol:

I have a mariner 9.9, it has always ran great. I am going to make a lightweight front deck and rear deck that will be the bench seat back to the transom.