older mercury outboard

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canadian omc

Reaction score
I just bought a 1980 40 hp. mercury 402 thunderbolt and i was wondering what the starting procedure is on this unit and does anyone recommend using an transom saver as this motor doesn`t have a power trim? Thank you in advance for all your help , awesome site BTW thank you for letting me aboard

I have a 1996 40hp Merc two stroke. I love the way this motor sounds! Mine has the auto oil mixer so making sure that tank is full is important. I have a power trim on this motor along with the manual tilt but I still use a transom saver.

thanks for the tip however i was wondering how the choke works? do you push it down to a count of 5 or what? thanks again nomowork!

I just engage the choke, crank or pull the rope and start the motor. I let it run for a little while until it warms up a little then push the choke back in. Once started, I usually don't have to restart with the choke unless the motor really cooled down a lot.

Mercs are cold blooded.The best way is to squeeze the primer bulb until hard than keep squeezing until you see gas dripping from your lower pan.What your doing is over-riding the needle in the carb,the excess gas runs back into carb which helps in cold starts.I helps if your motor tilts back a touch so the gas doesn't run out the front of carb.In cold weather works all the time. =D>

ps: yes you still need to use choke #-o