Mercury outboard discontinued spark plugs

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

airshot

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
My question is to those of you with Merc/ Mariner outboard motors, my 40 hp calls for an NGK-BUHW-2 spark plug, they have been discontinued, no longer made....so what are you folks using as a replacement ?? Tried a cross reference chart but couldn't find much there for these plugs....thanks in advance for any recomendations.

I believe the Champion L78V is identical. NGK BU8H is a gapless alternative that is still made, however from what I'm reading they are a slightly higher heat range, but the threads and electrode are the same. Many use them interchangeably without issue. YMMV.

Last edited:
I used to have a '96 Merc 40/30 jet that took those spark plugs. If I still had it, I would probably check eBay and the like for the plugs and stock up. And when I did a cross reference on Google, it came up with 22 results, but nothing I would consider readily available except for Champion L78V.

Due to the scarcity of these particular plugs, I wanted to get some spares to have on hand. Mercury/ Quicksilver now has a replacement sparkplug with a new part number.
After some research, I found these new part number plugs are availiable, so I ordered four of them from a marine dealer. When they came in, sure enough they have a new part number on the box, but inside...guess what...the BUHW-2 plugs that were or supposed to have been discontinued !! ????

My question is to those of you with Merc/ Mariner outboard motors, my 40 hp calls for an NGK-BUHW-2 spark plug, they have been discontinued, no longer made....so what are you folks using as a replacement ?? Tried a cross reference chart but couldn't find much there for these plugs....thanks in advance for any recomendations.
I have some, contact me

Well typically around here when a brand new member makes his first post by digging up an old thread and offering to sell someone something it's a sure sign of a scammer.
Fair enough, just bought a 19 foot sylvan and it came with a crap load of plugs so I thought I'd share. I won't ever use them all. Not like I'm selling gold coins. Lmao 🤣 no problem. I'll cancel my membership. Enjoy your circle jerk. Lmao

Well I for one won't miss him. Like my old man always liked to say: Don't let the door hit you you in the a$$ on the way out.

I'm still not convinced he still wasn't a scammer. If a brand new members first post is dragging up an old thread and offering to sell something through PM without so much as an introduction of some sort doesnt set of a couple red flags in your mind then I guess we just see the world different I suppose. I'd still like to be proven wrong but him flying off the handle then deleting his account over what I said is kinda telling in my mind.

You never know. His answer seemed pretty decent. He wasn't openly promoting anything.

But his reaction was NOT one of someone with thick skin. He seemed pretty offended. If he was a scammer, good riddance, but otherwise, I hope he comes back. This is a pretty good forum in general.

I know that I've offended others, and I've also been offended on occasion, but I do have pretty thick skin and generally let it ride. But every once in awhile, someone will say something that really bugs me and I want to unload on them. Then better thinking prevails, and I delete or edit the snarky reply.

"Treat others in the way you wish to be treated..." the Golden rule is still just that. But it takes practice!

How people interprut words in type varies. I have a hard time putting words to type so Inormally do it bluntly.
It wasnt to nasty what you said, sure you could of softened it up a bit but it was just a statement(IMO)
If he was legit, hope he comes back...no hard feelings

Latest posts