Mercury?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iknowthatsright

Reaction score
How can I find out the year of my 25hp Mercury It has blue stripes on the top if this helps. I found the serial Number on the motor, is there maybe a website that can help me

Yeah i saw one question that involved an evinrude and they knew a site to check the year model with the serial# but the site did not involve mercury so i am hoping there is a site or somebody can give me a year rage because i have heard mercury changed colored stripes as they changed year models thanks for your help waterwings

Thank you bassboy 1 the website helps but it does not have my serial number is there other places on my motor i can look for another serial number

Iknowthatsright said:
Thank you bassboy 1 the website helps but it does not have my serial number is there other places on my motor i can look for another serial number
No, that is the correct serial number, but that site didn't have anything older than 1980. Being the coloring you described, I was fairly sure that it was a 70s model, but I couldn't find a better site, so I was chancing that it might be after 1980. I have been looking for quite a bit, without any luck, but I think I know who does have the correct answer. Gimme a day or so to get in contact with him.

PS, if this were a Johnson/Evinrude, it would be so much easier. :D

Thank you the serial number i have is 5973716 if this will help any

P.S. you are right i would rather be fooling with a johnson/evenrude also but the mercury runs great and it is a short shaft my evenrude which i am fixing now is a long shaft and i just like a short shaft better

I had a boat with a 1973 85 hp Mercury on it and I think it had the blue stripes. I would say 70 something model to.

Does anyone have a serial# chart for mercury i have found some charts but neither have my serial# and they go all the way back to 1970 i am puzzled by this the # is 5973716

Thank you for all your help i would not worry so much about it but i need a new choke for the motor and reason i wont one is i have to choke it before i go fishing and i would really like to just be able to crank it when i to the lake but other than that the motor runs good

My sources say 1982. I am waiting on a confirmation, as they couldn't find it in all the normal channels, but we are fairly sure that is correct.

That sounds good i thought it could be a 70s to early 80s hopefully this will help me find the choke i need

Iknowthatsright said:
That sounds good i thought it could be a 70s to early 80s hopefully this will help me find the choke i need
Confirmed. What exactly is missing? The whole choke system, or just a few pieces here and there? I might know of a couple places to get those parts...

The knob that is on the outside of the motor that helps choke it the piece on the inside has broken off the choke knob

I am not familiar with the merc parts list, but email the folks at tcoutboard.com, americanoutboard.com, and the people at this link, https://www.maxrules.com/fixmercindex.html

Give them the HP, serial number, and a description of the part you need, and I am fairly sure they will be able to hook you up with the part.