motor two small

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
a 17 lb thrust tmotor?

I didnt even know they made em that small..

i would say..

no wind,no one in it, no current.. it would be fine :)

My dad and I used a 17# Minn Kota for many years on his 12' Jon for pond fishing. It will get you there and back, just don't expect much speed (for a trolling motor). By the way, we were both over 200 lbs.

goofyonehasu said:
will a 17trust motor push my 12' john boat ok

Its ok if you are not traveling against current or against the wind. In either of those cases, you may just sit put. Honestly I wouldn't use it as my primary propulsion on anything more then a pond or very small lake.

30ft lb trolling motors are available new for $100, or--you could keep an eye on craigslist or rummage sales for a cheap 3-5hp outboard--unless you fish electric only Should be able to find one in running condition for $100 or less, that's what I would do in a pinch. A lot more power, less weight (when you factor the battery) and will run all day on $10 worth of gas.

i got it out on water today if i didnt have a paddle i would steel be there its got no power
a friend give me the motor, so i tried it out your right 17 lb trust just ant going to work
i will keep looking i am on a tight budget

i have a 30 lb trust motor but is a bow rig you dont stand up much in a 12'john boat
maybe i can tread it for a stern motor

Canoeman said:
a 17 lb thrust tmotor?

I didnt even know they made em that small..

i would say..

no wind,no one in it, no current.. it would be fine :)

Back in the 70's and 80's they made them as small as 8lb thrust. But like lot's of other things bigger was better and now I think 30lb thrust is the smallest. I agree if your on a pond or small lake it will do the job. If it is only for fishing and you have a gas motor for getting from point A to point B it should be fine unless you get into some strong current.

Currently using a 30lb thrust Transom mount and it moves my 14ft jon with 3 people easily. Of course i use the 15hp Merc outboard to get from A to B. Total weight in the boat (including motor etc) is close to 600 lbs

thanks to all of you for you info i will just have to get another motor or try to tread the bow motor to someone
but thanks anyway
Lewis smith

i have a bow motor that is 24lb trust can i take the 17 lb trust motor off and put the 24lb trust on it

i realy dont know what i am doing this is my first boat i need to get out as cheap as i can some help please

Latest posts