Source for jack plate aluminum?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vahunter

Reaction score
I work at a machine shop and have access to lots of materials but not what I want. I need 5ft of 4x4" x 1/4 or 3/8" aluminum angle. There's a recycling yard 30mi from me that would be cheap and they might have some but havent had a chance to check. Another option is ordering it but can get expensive. Where do yall get your metals from?

I grew up not far from you, dinwiddie county. I used to get metal from gale welding shop in petersburg. But that is still 1.5 hours away from u.

I picked up some at Fastenal, of all places. Not cheap but they had it in stock and I needed it ASAP (work related stuff).

good to know. they just opened up a fastenal in town. havent been in there, but now i may just have to see what they have.

turbotodd said:
I picked up some at Fastenal

X2. I've purchased stock there and also ordered some 1/4" aluminum channel to make my jackplate, it can be ordered by the foot.

Ictalurus said:
turbotodd said:
I picked up some at Fastenal

X2. I've purchased stock there and also ordered some 1/4" aluminum channel to make my jackplate, it can be ordered by the foot.

I actually have some 4" channel 1/4 thick but I was trying think up how to make it adjustable and thought angle would be a little easier. Do you have pics of your jack plate made from channel you could share with me?

vahunter said:
I actually have some 4" channel 1/4 thick but I was trying think up how to make it adjustable and thought angle would be a little easier. Do you have pics of your jack plate made from channel you could share with me?

Sure do. I think the channel is the way to go. I didn't need it adjustable, but if needed I'd run some angle inside the channel, it would be extremely strong. I used 2" channel that was 1/4" thick. I had a piece of 1'x'1'x1/4" steel around, that was painted black and used as the backing plate. The wood is there for further setback and a thicker mounting for the outboard. I spaced it to the width of my knee braces so there would be no additional holes in the transom. All bolts are 5/16" SS. The jackplate is very stout, and keep in mind it is for my 8HP 'Rude that weighs a total of 58 lbs. My main goal was setback and raise so I could store my bimini to the very stern and have the tiller clear it. The raise is also nice for shallow water, I can get my 1448 into 10 - 12" of water with no problem. If I was attaching a heavier outboard, I'd probably run the channel up a little higher and use 3/8" bolts. If spacing is no concern, you could also do without the backing plate and bolt the motor directly to the channel. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• JP5.jpg
    JP5.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 739
  • JP4.jpg
    JP4.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 739
  • JP3.jpg
    JP3.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 739
  • JP2.jpg
    JP2.jpg