Motor choice

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slim1990

Reaction score
I know this topic has been covered but I could not find an exact answer. I know everyone says to with the biggest motor you can. I am looking at a new 1648mv which is rated for a 35 max. I'm in south florida and a 30-35hp seem far and few between but 25 hp are everywhere. Would there be a huge difference between a 25 and 30. I'm a big guy so the boat will have some weight. Any advice will be appreciated. Thank you, Wes

A 25 will push it just fine, probably 20-25mph depending on weight and setup. Also some 25's can be converted into 30's or 35's depending on the make and model of motor. Sure a 35 will get you another 5-8mph possibly but there isn't a huge difference. Get a 35 if you can but a 25 will surely suffice

If 25's are everywhere, sounds like you could get one for a good price. Mine will push the 16 v-hull ( a 73 Lowe ) 27 mph. That's with me 225 lbs, wife 140 lbs, trolling motor,battery and a good sized cooler.