holes on the boat side of the outboard...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrispbrown27

Reaction score
Picked up a trash can today to run the motor in to mess around with it at home. While standing back and watching it run I noticed two holes on the inside, toward the boat, around half way down the motor. While it was running these two holes had water shooting out of them...is this normal? I took a little video of it in case you guys don't know what I am talking about. Also, if you notice, the plate that you remove to access the shift linkage is leaking a small amount of lower unit lube. Would that be a gasket that has gone bad? And is this normal? The motor is a 1972 Johnson 25 horse.
Chris

From what i have read on google, I believe that would be the exhaust/pressure relief? and its normal when motor is pumping more water than it needs so it has to go somewhere.

I could be wrong and hoipefully somebody will correct me if im wrong, but that is what i found on google. i knoticed my dads mercury doing someing similar last week

water coming from those holes is normal. and i believe thats just burned fuel and excess oil/exhaust from being run in the tank at low rpm for an extended period of time leaking from the linkage port. A new gasket certainly wouldnt hurt, but I wouldnt be too overly worried about doing it immediately.

JoshKeller said:
water coming from those holes is normal. and i believe thats just burned fuel and excess oil/exhaust from being run in the tank at low rpm for an extended period of time leaking from the linkage port. A new gasket certainly wouldnt hurt, but I wouldnt be too overly worried about doing it immediately.

I agree, had an early seventies 18 hp Rude years ago that did the same.

That is unburnt fuel/oil mix coming from exhaust plate cover...not lower unit oil. This small leak will not effect your engine in anyway. A new gasket will fix the leak but it is completely normal to see unburnt fuel from there. You will see far less when motor is run in large body of water at higher RPM under a load. Motor sounds good from what I could hear in the video.

Normal, I have a 1975 25 Evinrude (same motor). It appears to be pumping water very good but If you don't know the age of the impeller, go ahead and replace it before using the motor. About $50 for the impeller and 20 minutes to change.

Sorry I haven't responded in a while. The impeller is in good condition, looked brand new when I opened up the gearcase. I did put a new gasket around the linkage cover. The new concern is that I have water intrusion into the gear case. I was looking at the parts diagram on crowley and can see an upper lower unit seal, but could not see a lower lower unit seal. Did I miss it? I have watched a couple of videos on youtube covering removing and replacing lower unit seals...does anyone have any advice on getting them out? The motor does run pretty well, when I bought the boat I was not expecting much out of it, but other then (so far) minor issues I am happy with it. I have yet to get it on the water to see if the adjustments I made have corrected the slipping gear issue....hopefully this coming week I will get it out there! Thanks guys.
Chris

https://www.boats.net/parts/search/BRP/JOHNSON/1972/25E72R/GEARCASE/parts.html

Probably talking about part #27 (lower) and #26 (upper) in diagram, also order and replace plug washers for filler and drain plugs while your at it. And even though impeller is good It wouldn't hurt to order an extra one now so you don't pay for shipping later on again. That's assuming you are gonna keep motor for some years