1986 Evinrude 60hp prop reconditioning?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShipwreckStew

Reaction score
I'm a new member and I recently bought a 1979 18 foot Starcraft center console with a 1986 60 hp Evinrude VRO on the back. I got the motor running, but the prop is pretty mangled, but usable. Is there a way to economically recondition the prop? What kind of shop would be able to do this work? Would it be better to just get a replacement prop? And finally, what prop would be best to put on? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Hey, Stew, welcome aboard, and congrats on the new toys. I am not a prop guy by any means, but maybe we can stir up some suggestions. I am not sure what, "pretty mangled, but usable" means...pics wold help. You ask several other good questions as well, but the answers will vary based on how much weight you will be pushing, whether you do any shallow water boating, etc. I lived in Louisville for eight years and I know there are quite a few marine/boating retailers. If you know one of them, start there. Alternatively, there are a number of propeller shops in the area, including nearby Indiana. You might go there for an informed opinion. In either case, pull the prop and take it with you. Glad you have joined us and keep us updated on your progress.
Rick