Calling Johnny25, help with impeller.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigwave

Reaction score
I have a year 2000 J25RSSE short shaft johnson. Yesterday I put the engine in the water for the first time in two years. After several hard pulls and some carb cleaner I got the motor fired. It was cold and took a minute to rev up and sound normal....I noticed that the pee hole was not streaming and shut the motor off. I then adjusted the muffs and made sure that both sides were on the intake and the stream began to flow.....solid stream......I let the motor run for a couple of minutes and shut it off. I then took the boat to the ramp and put it in the water........The stream was solid again, as I proceeded out of the marina the motor started to run rough and the stream went away.....I tried to rev up and get on plan, hoping it would blow something out to no avail.....turned around and put the boat back on the trailer and went home. The motor did not over heat but I idled it back to the ramp probably 2 mins with no stream or very weak stream. When I got home today I put a piece of heavy mono all the way back to the block.....its not cloged....I am thinking I have a bad impeller since the boat has sat for two full years....I a pretty sure I found the part I need, but I want to know how had it is to take the lower unit off and if I do, should I just change the impeller or should I get the whole water pump kit? I only see four bolts that hold the lower uint on, I was told to keep the motor in neutral and it should just pull right out. Is there anything I should know before I attempt this? It looks easy enough, but my old yammy gave me fits when I took the lower unit off....of course it was completly destroyed but any advise would be appreciated.
Thanks
Kevin

I think this is the impelller for my engine? https://www.marineengine.com/newparts/part_details.php?pnum=SIE18-3051&ptype=&Engine=&Model=

Use this site.... it ships out of Florida near you and has better prices usually https://www.boats.net/parts/search/BRP/JOHNSON/2000/J25RSSE/GEARCASE/parts.html

Ok this will be an easy task for you Wave..... I could write it all out but read this and it will be much easier than me writing it out. I know this is for a 9.9 and 15hp but your lower is virtually Identical, just bigger. Oh and your shift rod connection is likely between the screens on the lower unit where it intakes the water. Remove screens to access it https://www.leeroysramblings.com/Lower_unit.htm

Oh and as a rule of thumb I always order the part/parts after I have gotten the old part out. Save from having to order extra parts and pay shipping again if you get in there and find other things that need replaced. I would imagine all you need is impeller but take a look while you in there to be sure.

Thank you so much for the reply, I got the water pump kit for 28 bucks......I have read lots of stuff on the net and watched a few videos. I will tackle this tonight. I think I will take some pics for anyone that wants to do this in the future.

Attachments

• imagejpeg_2 (91).jpg
    imagejpeg_2 (91).jpg
    386 KB · Views: 632
There ya go.... better safe than sorry by getting the whole kit 8) be sure to get the key in on the impeller and all will be good when your done. Also when you drop the lower you can blow compressed air through the copper intake tube to see if your clear

Ok I did not get the lower unit off last night.......I was forced in to eat dinner..... :evil: Here are some pics of what I did.....I would like to know if this bolt needs to come off to drop the lower unit. Thanks for the help. [-o<

Attachments

• imagejpeg_2 (94).jpg
    imagejpeg_2 (94).jpg
    329.9 KB · Views: 606
  • imagejpeg_2 (92).jpg
    imagejpeg_2 (92).jpg
    389.5 KB · Views: 606
  • imagejpeg_2 (93).jpg
    imagejpeg_2 (93).jpg
    389.5 KB · Views: 606
  • imagejpeg_2 (95).jpg
    imagejpeg_2 (95).jpg
    387.5 KB · Views: 606
Ok I think the only thing holding my gearcase on is part #25, do I take that nut off?

Attachments

• EPC0188.png
    EPC0188.png
    112.3 KB · Views: 599
Brother I’m no Johnson expert but that looks like the shift shaft to me.
It’s going to have to be disconnected. I would pop the cowling off and see if there is a disconnect at the top of the shift shat. If not it’s going to have to be disconnect from there. Look above it and see if the opening is big enough for the nut to pass through.

Here is one link I found that shows a bit better....https://www.boats.net/parts/search/BRP/JOHNSON/2000/J25RSSE/GEARCASE/parts.html#

and herehttps://www.boats.net/parts/search/BRP/JOHNSON/2000/J25RSSE/parts.html

bigwave said:
Ok I think the only thing holding my gearcase on is part #25, do I take that nut off?

Thats what it looks like to me 25 has to be taken off :?:

:beer: Good luck and let us know how it goes

bigwave said:

Yes the nut comes off. Once you separate the 2 nuts holding the shift rod together you have to remove the small plastic piece from the rod in order to get the top nut off the shaft.

Also check that rubber gasket that goes between the housing and the base plate. I just replaced my pump with a Sierra kit and the gasket was too small. Could get the suction started. Had to take it apart and put the old one on. Pumps fine now.

Thank you so much for the replies guys, like my mod I am working at a snails pace with the lower unit. I just dont want to take it apart and not be able to put it back together. I hope to get her all apart tonight and get it back on the water tomorrow. I am dying to get the boat up on plane and see how fast she goes, plus I have to catch a bigger snook that country dave......... :lol:

Looks like the same exact design as my evinrude. I did the same thing last weekend. The little plastic piece was a pain in the butt to get off (it was my first time). I have to take it apart again tomorrow. The pisser wasn't working and there's no clog. I think the copper water pipe didn't connect right...i hope [-o<

Good luck to ya

which plastic piece do you guys keep referring to? The only plastic piece I have taken off so far would be the water intake screens....you the second person that talked about the plastic piece, which part number is it on the schematic.

Think it might be 73 in the schematic but not sure. If I remember right it's a cone shaped piece that keeps the fitting nut from falling off. Been a while since I did mine but I think once you loosen the nut you can slide it up the shaft and you should see it.

Sounds like you got it covered. I like to use a little vasaline on the tips of impeller blades when installing a new one. It will come off faster than grease

cfh1177 said:
Looks like the same exact design as my evinrude. I did the same thing last weekend. The little plastic piece was a pain in the butt to get off (it was my first time). I have to take it apart again tomorrow. The pisser wasn't working and there's no clog. I think the copper water pipe didn't connect right...i hope [-o<

Good luck to ya

Did you use the Sierra Kit? If so I would look at the rubber gasket.

That last bolt let the lower unit drop, however that little plastic piece you guys seems to be on there. How did yall get that little plastic piece off? I need to get that top nut off to let the lower unit come all the way out. Thanks again.....im kinda stuck trying to figure out how to get it off.