Doesn't seem to be getting fuel

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrispbrown27

Reaction score
Took the boat out today. Last time I had it out, I had absolutely no problem starting her up. Today she wouldn't fire up at all. Changed the plugs while on the water, still nothing. Got home pulled the plugs and checked the spark and it was good. There is fuel coming out of the fuel pump going to the carb and I can pour gas straight into the carb and it will fire up each time, but dies as soon as that gas is burnt up. Am I looking at a carb rebuild or is there something else I should look at? It is a 1972 Johnson 25 horse.
Chris

Stuck float, pull the float bowl and clean needle valve...sometimes a brisk tap on bowl with handle of screwdriver will free it up.

Sounds to me like a carb rebuild/cleaning. Doesn't take much to clog up some of the small orfaces in the carb to give you trouble. By the way, I'm assuming you are using fresh fuel cause old fuel will do the same thing. Good luck!

I pulled the carb off this morning and it honestly looks brand new. Everything is nice and shiny didn't see anything that looked out of place at all. I am going to pick up a couple cans of carb cleaner and some canned air and see if anything is hiding in there. I hadn't even considered the gas. It has only been in there since January with stabil in it and it was ran in March with no issues and I put more gas in yesterday to make sure I didn't run out. Would I still need to dump the gas?
Chris

So the carb is back on, new fuel lines and new fuel in the tank. Now it will fire up and run, but only if the fuel line from the tank is disconnected. I can crank her up without the fuel line on and once she is running pop the fuel connector on there and it will run for a bit then sputter and die. After that she may fire but will die instantly and will not fire again until I disconnect the fuel line and crank on it for a bit. It almost seems like it is getting too much fuel now. Any ideas?
Chris

chrispbrown27 said:
So the carb is back on, new fuel lines and new fuel in the tank. Now it will fire up and run, but only if the fuel line from the tank is disconnected. I can crank her up without the fuel line on and once she is running pop the fuel connector on there and it will run for a bit then sputter and die. After that she may fire but will die instantly and will not fire again until I disconnect the fuel line and crank on it for a bit. It almost seems like it is getting too much fuel now. Any ideas?
Chris

Check the vent on the tank. Sounds like it's closed or clogged. If air can't get in then fuel can't get out. Vent could be clogged so in the driveway just remove the fill cap.

It is an automatic venting tank and I tried without the cap on and same results. One more thing to complicate this all, while I was working on it I smelled melting plastic. Looked around and saw smoke coming from the top of my battery box. Pulled the top off and the positive terminal had melted off and had melted into the top of my battery box. When it rains it pours.
Chris

chrispbrown27 said:
It is an automatic venting tank and I tried without the cap on and same results.

I've seen lots of people having problems with the "New" tanks....(thanks Mr President).
I haven't dealt with them yet, but maybe the '72 fuel pump doesn't have the pull to overcome the auto valve? I would try and get an old tank to try. If your tank hose end has a removable clamp I would remove the end, put some gas in a can and put the hose in it, then try it.