Fuel tank question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

54envinrude

Reaction score
I bought a 6 hp 1966 Johnson outboard. I have an old 50s pressurized tank from my other motor that died. Chose to buy this motor and fix my other one later. Can I convert the double hose press tank to work w my single hose outboard? Thanks

This is just my opinion because the gas I use today has ethanol in it, I would be concerned about the phase-seperation and then the alcohol working on a any varnish that has accumulated over the last 60 years. Whatever you do always treat your gas with stabilizer. Today's gas is expensive garbage.

I surely would not do anything to permanently modify the PT. The point about the varnish may be something to think seriously about.

If I wanted to do a temp mod on the old tank I would buy a new hose assembly and a vent for a go cart (the one with the short hose section) attach that to the air tap and the new hose to the gas side. I can't think of any reason why it would not work. But it might not. Careful shopping on your local Craigslist should score you a modern tank for about the cost of the material. I just sold a 6 gallon with hose, primer and 2 Johnson connectors for $45.

Latest posts