1999 Tracker Mercury 90 hp wont idle

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattb91193

Reaction score
Ok so I am having a few issues with my motor idling. Heres exactly what happened to me today at the lake. I really don't know much about this boat as I bought it over the winter and this is the second time I have tried to take it out with similar results. I put brand new plugs in it prior to this endeavor.

Ok so I went to the lake with the boat, started right up and idled just fine, no issues what so ever. Putted over to an area where I opened it right up and it ran perfect. Got out in the middle of the lake and decided to shut it down. Wouldn't start back up unless I gave it gas. So I gave it gas, but couldn't get it to shift into gear because that would cause me to not give it any throttle in order to get it into gear. So after revving it up a couple times and quickly shifting before it died I got it moving. I shut it down once more in the lake and had the same exact thing happen. I also suspect that it may be getting too much oil, but again I really don't know much about it, that might be a 2 stroke characteristic with the oil, but I imagine it is suppose to be able to idle.

Anybody have any suggestions?

try running some seafoam thru the gas, you may have a clogged carb, and need to re-build it/them. The seafoam may clear the clog out, but it may not. Also check the gas line and bulb for cracks and such. Did you check the hardness of the bulb while or when you were having trouble with the engine. If you did, and pumping the bulb up would solve the issue for a bit, then the gas line and bulb probably need to be replaced. The ethanol in the gas will eat the older gas hoses/bulbs up, and tiny bits of the hose end up being sucked into the carbs and such.

In addition, if you provide as much info about your boat or motor, etc,as you can, whatever your question is about, it will help others to help you. GL