Johnson 28SPL Problems

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdowning10

Reaction score
So I have a 1989 Johnson 28 Spl and I have no idea how long it sat and I am having a couple of problems. First it is acting as though it is not getting any fuel it will run well for a short period of time then stall out and not start and repeat over and over. I plan on rebuilding/cleaning carb, checking fuel filter, and changing fuel line. ANy other suggestions here? Also I put in a new impeller I alligned it the same way the old one came out but as far as I can tell it is not "pissing" at all. I am at a loss for this one maybe something in the thermostat is clogged? Thanks in advance for any advice I am ready to hit the water without the worry of breaking down!

Run a fine wire up though the water discharge hole. When they sit sometimes a bug can clog the circuit with a mud nest. It happens a lot.
OR...pull the rubber hose off at the block and start it up. You will know immediatly if water is getting to the powerhead.

The fuel system can sometimes suck air through the fitting or tank suction pipe. Also make sure the hose is on in the right direction. The fuel system has to be gone through on most any engine that sits for long, including the fuel pump.

Let us know what you find.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=342934#p342934 said:
Boat2fast » 26 Feb 2014, 14:25[/url]"]Run a fine wire up though the water discharge hole. When they sit sometimes a bug can clog the circuit with a mud nest. It happens a lot.
OR...pull the rubber hose off at the block and start it up. You will know immediatly if water is getting to the powerhead.

The fuel system can sometimes suck air through the fitting or tank suction pipe. Also make sure the hose is on in the right direction. The fuel system has to be gone through on most any engine that sits for long, including the fuel pump.

Let us know what you find.

Sadly we were both wrong, The carb was spotless, however I did figure out it was set extremely lean which explains why it would not idle well. Anyway, I do not know how long it was run lean before I got my hands on it but my little venture sent the motor over the edge and I now have blown motor. the #1 cynlinder is scratched to hell and it will need a new piston. However the water pump works flawlesly now, the tube was lined up wrong all at the foot of the motor. Time to do some wrenching, any help on partrs would be appreciated.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=344039#p344039 said:
Boat2fast » 07 Mar 2014, 02:33[/url]"]I have some stuff for those engines. Where do you live?

I am located in Charlotte NC, I should be able to get away with doing a set of rings and a honing job but if I need any big parts or items i will let you know. Do you have one for parts or a motor thats fully functional?

I have a couple of complete powerheads, and some others disassembled. If you need a good block I can help. See what you find inside.