1976 Evinrude 35HP - Help!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marlin3030

Reaction score
Hi folks, I need some help with this motor. Got it in a deal for an old project boat. Guy says if you can get it running you can have it. But here's the catch... it doesn't have a carburetor. It's a 1976 Evinrude 35HP model number 35603S. Carb PN is 386853, and you guessed it, it's obsolete with no replacement.

I've found a couple on Ebay, but I was wondering if any other carbs for different years would work? I also need the parts for the electric choke and there's one for a 77 that has the choke parts with it. looks like the guy removed it when he took the carb off. it's obsolete as well, so any idea of any other solutions for that?

I'm sure i'll find more things I need but this is it for now. Thanks in advance for the help!

Could be a great deal but it's unusual to have parts pulled from a good motor. I would do a compression test on it before spending your money on parts.

the guy said he got it from someone that he did some work for but never paid him. he had taken the carb off to have it rebuilt and never got it back is what I was told. If I had to guess he didn't have the money to pay for the rebuild either. I didn't think about a compression test. that's not a bad idea.

The compression test is always good.

You can tell a lot about a motor by looking at the paint on the powerhead. If it changes color front to back, it may have overheated. Because I buy lots of engines and stuff, I tend to stay away from fixing up engines that have obvious misuse. It's better to find another one just like it. Use the burnt one for parts.

Sometimes you can detect seriously worn internals by rotating the engine over slowly by hand. Do this gently back and forth at different positions. Sometimes you can feel or hear bad pistons, bearings, or wrist pins. You got to have quiet enough so you can pay attention to listening.

Getting the fuel system all done doesn't help much if you fire it up and it ticks, raps, or clanks.

ok, so i tested the compression and i'm good to go. 130 in the upper cylinder and 120 in the lower. I went ahead and ordered a carb off ebay and in talking to the guy found out i'm missing the air silencer. Can't find anything for my year model online but I did find a 77 for a decent price. Looking at exploded views, it looks like the only difference in the 76 vs. the 77 is one screw. Am i safe to assume that the air silencer for the 77 will work for the 76?

ok guys i need some help here. got the carb cleaned and mounted. getting good spark and fuel. it's trying to turn over but it's almost like there is a timing issue and it's not firing at the right time. it backfires like crazy from the exhaust almost like the sound of popcorn but it won't turn over. Points and condensers are good and set at .020. compression is real good, but when you pull the plugs after trying to get it to start the plugs are covered in black gas. Any advice would be appreciated.

Here's everything i've done...
Cleaned all jets and replaced gaskets on carb
new plugs
compression is 120 and 125
set points to .020 and cleaned them
replaced all worn wires

figured it out... turns out there's 4 things you need for a motor to run... fuel, fire, compression, and spark plug wires plugged into the right cylinders :D i assumed that there were where they were supposed to be.

now another question... it doesn't idle well and i know the lean/rich adjustment on the front of the carb has some (not all) to do with that. i was told to start at 3 full turns out and adjust inward from there. That sound right to everyone? or should i try something different.

if that doesn't fix it what's next? take it to set the timing? or something else. I'm new to small engine repair so i'm learning as i go. any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

I usually do two full turns out and work my way out from there. But 3 out and in should work just fine.