Help!!!! Yamaha F25/704 problem

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rscottp

Reaction score
I am converting my 2005 F25 tiller to remote and ran into an unexpected problem. Since I am on a budget I have been finding parts where I can for as cheap as I can. I got a great deal on a used 704 binnacle from ebay which I hooked up for the first time today. Problem is I don't know how to increase the throttle to start the motor when it is cold. With the tiller you could increase throttle a little to start the motor new one doesn't seem to have that ability. From what I see on the internet the Yamaha key panel has a choke of some sort, I didn't want to spend $200 on a couple switches so I just moved the starter button and kill switch from the motor up to my console not ever considering the choke. I took a look under the hood of the motor and there is something on the carb with a couple wires coming out of it, could this be the choke? If so can I put a switch to it? Am I missing some simple fix on the 704 control?
Hope someone knows how I can deal with this!

I'm guessing the guys at hull truth told you how the prime starter works. Its not a choke. Advancing the throttle on a cold engine makes it harder to start. Idle only. If the prime starter works like it should, and the passages are clear, it should fire off within a revolution or two without any throttle.

I like the 703 better than the 704 for a standard remote but either one works just fine. Good luck to ya!