Can I make this motor a short shaft?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skinner

Reaction score
I picked this motor up a few days ago at a great price. It is a long shaft and I will be using it on my 14x32 john boat. What I would like to know is can I make it in to a short shaft? ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397756220.768557.jpg

Don't know about that but I have seen people just attach a piece of bent aluminum to the transom in order to raise it so the long shaft motor will sit right.

you can but have to find a shaft and water tube and maybe shift rod if it has short brass connecter or just do a raiser

It's not too hard to do. If you have to change the shift rod, you will have to open the gearcase. Depending on the model, you may have to open it anyway to swap driveshafts. Motors like yours are pretty simple to work on. You could probably sell the longshaft parts on ebay. I paid around $80 for the parts to convert a motor to a longshaft.

I just did the same thing to a 25 hp today! The parts if bought individually are expensive. I went to an outboard salvage yard and got a while new lower unit. It was cheaper and I'll be able to sell the parts from the long shaft on ebay or just keep them in case I want to switch back. I paid 200 for the new lower.