Evinrude float difference?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bulrid8

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone might know. I have a 1960 18hp. Rebuilding carb right now. Kit did not come with new float. Carb has cork float (still in good shape). Tried looking on iboats for plastic float. They list from 1969 and up. All use same float.

Is there any difference in the floats from pre 1969 to post 1969?

Yep.....aftermarket kits such as Sierra are not complete kits like the OEM kits are.
OEM kits come complete with float, float pin, needle and seat, seat gasket, nozzle gasket, float chamber gasket, core plugs, packings, and a nylon packing bearing plus various other odds and ends for several variations of that series carburetor. Very complete kit.

If your float is still in good shape use it! You can also spread a light coat of Super Glue on the cork. Yes, you read that right. Super Glue is fuel proof, lightweight.

I just looked up my 58 18hp evinrude on marineengine.com and It is showing a plastic float for mine so I would assume that for a 1960 you would be able to get one on there plus it's only like $12 plus shipping of course. Hope this helps.

Thanks guys. Yeah, I found the one on marineengines.com.
Was wondering if there was a difference because local dealer had other one in stock. Was trying to finish it up tomorrow.

The cork one is still in great shape and seems to have a full coating on it. May reuse it for now. I will put thin coat super glue on it too.
The sierra kit has everything but the float!