New to board

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Avatheps

Reaction score
:D Hello all,
I am new to this board and also to online communications as well. Please be gentle as I learn the ropes here. By way of my first post I will try and be brief, but specific as able.

I recently was made an offer that I could not refuse and purchased my very first boat, trailer, motors (yes plural) and all associated equipment for the huge sum of $400 dollars US. My trouble is that I am a senior citizen and have no working knowledge of any of the great stuff that I just bought. In order to enjoy this windfall profit I need to get more info before I proceed. That's where you come in.

Since this is the motor forum I will start here. The package came with a small Min Kota and a big Min Kota as well as a Johnson Seahorse 6hp outboard. The Min Kotas I checked already and they both work fine. I do not dare check the Seahorse yet because I have no owners manual, no prior experience and no close acquaintances to go to for help. I sure hope this is the right place to come for info.

The motor is a Johnson, model #6R-74C, the serial #J3937713. It has been little used and looks spanking new. I would like to buy a manual, but my online searches just seem to befuddle me more. Can anyone here throw me in the right direction for some help? I would be most appreciative for any bone you can toss me.

I am looking forward to further communications with you kind folk. If you need further info please let me know. Thanks again.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=362947#p362947 said:
Avatheps » 11 Aug 2014, 14:47[/url]"]:D Hello all,
I am new to this board and also to online communications as well. Please be gentle as I learn the ropes here. By way of my first post I will try and be brief, but specific as able.

I recently was made an offer that I could not refuse and purchased my very first boat, trailer, motors (yes plural) and all associated equipment for the huge sum of $400 dollars US. My trouble is that I am a senior citizen and have no working knowledge of any of the great stuff that I just bought. In order to enjoy this windfall profit I need to get more info before I proceed. That's where you come in.
You did very well - more on that later. It does not take a lot to get and keep an outboard running. A few questions for you though: Did you hear and see the motor run? If not - do not try to start it. When outboards sit up for a while the impeller (water pump) in the lower unit gets dry and hard. If you start and run it for any length of time you will do damage to the motor as it will have no cooling. Your best bet may be to find a competent mechanic to check it out. Around here in West Kentucky that will cost you anywhere from $50 to $100 and is money well spent.

Clean the tank and hose well - throw away the gas that was in it or put it in your buddies 1965 chevy pickup. Examine the bulb in the fuel line. If it is cracked and/or leaking replace the whole thing, available at WalMart. Just match the ends of the hose.

Avatheps » 11 Aug 2014, 14:47[/url]"]The Min Kotas I checked already and they both work fine. I do not dare check the Seahorse yet because I have no owners manual, no prior experience and no close acquaintances to go to for help. I sure hope this is the right place to come for info.
If you run the electric motors for any length of time out of water you will burn those up also.

Avatheps » 11 Aug 2014, 14:47[/url]"]The motor is a Johnson, model #6R-74C, the serial #J3937713. It has been little used and looks spanking new. I would like to buy a manual, but my online searches just seem to befuddle me more. Can anyone here throw me in the right direction for some help? I would be most appreciative for any bone you can toss me.
There is not much to the manual if you were to find one. The Gas/Oil mix is 50:1 - that is 2.56 Oz per Gallon of gas. You can buy a handy measuring cup at the boat stores that has the ratio on the side or go buy a baby bottle and use it. A note about the gas. Almost all the gas sold today is mixed with ethanol. You do not want it. Either find a station that sells non-ethanol gas or get one if the additives that remove the alcohol from the gas. The gaskets and hoses in your fuel system were not designed to stand up to alcohol.

Once you get good gas with oil mixed in (don't buy a lot as that motor will run for a long time on 2 gallons) - hook the hose to the tank and motor watching to get the arrow on the bulb pointed the correct way, pump up some pressure - you will feel the bulb get firm. Pull the choke out, adjust the throttle to the START position (or maybe a little bit more) and pull sharply on the rope. Pull again and be prepared to push in the choke. Once it starts let it idle for a bit and put it in gear and go.

You have a fine motor. Yours was built in 1974 and as outboards go it is just a teenager. I have the same one in the workshop that I have had for 14 years and it is a one pull motor, meaning after I go through what I described above for the rest of the day it will start on the first pull. I used mine till this year when I got a 25HP motor because the 6HP was just a bit too weenie for the big lake (Kentucky Lake). The motor itself in running condition will bring $450 - $500 around here.

Avatheps » 11 Aug 2014, 14:47[/url]"]I am looking forward to further communications with you kind folk. If you need further info please let me know. Thanks again.

You might want to list your location as resources on one place may not be available in others. When I lived in New England, boat shops were few and far between, while here in West Kentucky with the two BIG lakes near they are easy to find.

I will suggest you get a digital camera to take pictures of your boat and motors as sometimes when trying to ask a question a picture goes a long way in explaining things.

Most folks here are knowledgeable and courteous, so don't be afraid to ask the questions.
and I don't know what you call a "senior citizen" but I am as my daddy would say, getting on in years myself.

I am in awe of the depth of knowledge you guys have. I certainly have come to the right place for help. I never have been much of a hand with motors, but you all make it seem like it might actually be fun to maintain this old thing. I have it out and hooked up to a trash can full of water. I also went and got a can of gas, but have to run further down the road to find the proper oil. I will take some pics as I proceed to let you see how I am progressing. I am actually a bit excited at this point. I never imagined myself owning a boat and motor let alone maintaining one. Thank you all , particularly Clint and Sumdumguy for providing such outstanding input. I look forward to many more discussions. Later all.

You might want to try e-bay for a service manual---> https://www.ebay.com/itm/1974-OMC-Johnson-6-HP-6R74-6RL74-Outboard-Service-Shop-Manual-LOTS-More-Listed-/201134076771?pt=Motors_Manuals_Literature&hash=item2ed4867363&vxp=mtr
Have fun.