2005 Mercury outboard question (2 stroke)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djuban

Reaction score
I noticed the bottom of my motor was missing a piece of metal. I have never noticed it before so I'm not sure how long it has been like this or if this just happened on the way home from my last fishing trip. But my question is, does anyone know what this is, what would be affected by it and how much its going to cost me to fix. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Someone told me I am looking at 1000.00 dollars to get this fixed but the person that told me this tends to make stuff up on things hes not too familiar with. Nothing is leaking out and I don't see anything that would be affected by this other than maybe the steering?

Attachments

• IMG_0020.jpg
    IMG_0020.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 381
  • IMG_0021.jpg
    IMG_0021.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 381
  • IMG_5912.jpeg
    IMG_5912.jpeg
    44.9 KB · Views: 381
Do you trailer with a transom saver?
It might have happened trailering home or even on the water, seeing as the rest of the skeg has the paont rubbed off.
If its not bent or affecting performance, no real need to fix.
Does your prop over hang it now?
I know people that get them welded, cant see it costing anywhere near $1000.
If you do get it welded, make sure the person understands what hes doing...theres orings seals etc that dont like much heat.

I do use a transom saver. It does overhang it slightly. To get it welded wouldn't I need to have the piece that is missing? Would this cause any noticeable issues while driving the boat? Thanks for the replies guys.

No, you don't need the piece that's gone.I am a welder & have welded a few like yours.It can be done without taking lower apart or off as far as that goes.

:twisted: How about taking a grinding wheel to it. Clean it up a little. There you go....FREE. You gottta be nuts to drop any $$$ on something so minor.

That's a good idea fish devil, I really like the free part. I was just concerned that it was going to affect something else but seems like there is nothing to worry about.

I tried to find a video I saw not to long ago where the guy made a sort of mold from some light weight steel then starting at the break on the skeg he filled it in with Brazing rod using a propane torch. Once it cooled down he took his angle grinder and finished it off shaping it then painted and you couldn't even tell it was ever broken.

skeg is missing some material. but find someone that welds aluminum and that should be a cheap fix. my old 65 looks like that but still runs 50mph on my boat.