Starting issues

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CDoeg90

Reaction score
I've got a '79 35hp motor that starts pretty hard. If I prime and choke it takes a bit to get going. If I hit it with a quick shot of starter fluid it barely takes anything to get going. Any advice out there? Will just a simple tune up help or do I need to get into the carb and do a clean/rebuild? She runs great otherwise and sat for over two years before I started it.

I'd rebuild the carb.

Starting fluid in a 2 cycle [-X

Good way to do damage to your motor.

You'd be better to have a little bottle of pre mix if it needs an extra shot.

I would make sure all the fuel lines are tight. Usually its the dumbest things that cause the most head aches. If it runs fine after it starts I cant see it being too gummed up. Sounds like its getting air in the lines and not getting a prime til you spray the starting fluid in. If that doesnt work then a carb cleaning wouldn't hurt.

Delaware is telling you right. Ethanol gas is causing a lot of build up in all kinds of motors. Gums up the fuel lines really bad on boats. Soaking the carbs in Chemtool works well. Just did a complete carb rebuild on a '71 Johnson 9.5 that was doing the exact same thing you are describing. I replaced all fuel lines with new black gas line as well. (not pre-made gray line).

She fired right up on the second pull and runs like a dream. :D

Hope you get her fired up and running smooth.

Keith
Texas

Thanks all. The lines and primer bulb I got with the motor are rough. I was going to get some good quality line from an auto parts store so I can run the tank further up in the boat along with a new bulb. This winter I'm going to replace the plugs and rebuilt the carb and and change the lower unit oil and of course clean 'er up!

does it have a choke primer? if so get the engine running and make sure your not getting fuel flowing out of your smaller fuel lines. and starting fluid is a good way to replace reeds.

one is on top of the intake and one is under the carb. just take the one loose from top should be good enough to determine if primer is not sealing.

Did you try just tightening down all the hose clamps yet? when you pump the primer ball do you hear anything other than fluid? Check all the connections and give em a turn or two.

I believe i can hear air. The primer bulb and tank lines are Very dry rotted. I'm going to start there and some new fittings. The one for the engine does not clip on well, the release lever disengages the lock on its own. I'm hoping it will he that simple, but I'm going yo work my way from there to the carb and a tune up over the winter.

what kind of motor? im assuming a Johnson/evinrude? either way I would start at the fuel tank and start checking for leaks, then the fuel line etc.... on back to the carb.

Starting on ether but not starting with the choke/primer is most often a problem in the fuel delivery system but there is one more thing to keep in mind. Low compression can exhibit those same sort of start and run symptoms, so if your work on the fuel system doesn't net any results or improvement, you might want to do a compression check.

I picked up a new fuel tank line and that made no difference. I checked the filter and lines and all was well. Turns out the float needle was sticking. Cleaned the carb and she is good to go!

So After a thorough cleaning I decided to be impatient and not order a new kit. Bad idea. The carb needed a rebuild anyways. So I ordered a kit and installed and now I'm still having a hard start! Fuel filter is clean. Carb is getting fuel. Fuel lines are crappy! One thing after another! Good news is I won't have any problems come spring!

Lesson learned is when cleaning a carb, do a whole kit and clean and on an older motor replace fuel lines!