New prop

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evidrine

Reaction score
I will soon be in the market for a new prop. I am thinking that I may go with stainless. Either way, what in your experience would be the ideal setup. I have a 2014 pro16 bass tracker with a 40hp mercury four stroke.

The exact measurements of the prop will be specific to the weight/length of your boat, along with your goal in swichting propellers (efficiency, top end speed, acceleration) but most prop manufacturers have software that will calculate this stuff for you.

I can't speak to a 40hp on a 16', but on my 18' with it's 150hp there was a night and day difference between the acceleration of the stainless prop and the aluminum - though I can't figure out why other than the actual contour of the blade surface - both were the same size and same pitch - though the stainless used a pressed in hub vs. the quick-changing flow-torque II setup employed by the aluminum.

evidrine said:
I will soon be in the market for a new prop. I am thinking that I may go with stainless. Either way, what in your experience would be the ideal setup. I have a 2014 pro16 bass tracker with a 40hp mercury four stroke.
I like this "prop wizard" by Turning Point propellers as you can use your specific make/model boat or one as close to yours that you can find. For example, I couldn't load a Procraft tin boat from their database, but used a Smoker Craft of similar/same beam, length and type, for example.

Then you can add weight for how much gear and fuel the boat typically carries on every trip, then add for # of people aboard.

Even better than the Prop Wizard ... I love their props! I've used this for the last 2 tin boats I've rigged and the results have been awesome!

See: https://v2.propellerwizard.com/

What WOT RPM are you running now with your aluminum prop with your average load out?

That I will have to check on my next time out. At the moment I honestly can't recall.