Prop 60 hp merc

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Koma

Reaction score
New guy here, first post...About to buy a 2019 Lowe Stinger 175 with a 60hp Merc 4 stroke. It has a aluminum prop on it and I have been searching the web for a stainless prop to replace it with but honestly have no idea what pitch or even where to buy really. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

There is a prop selector tool on the Mercury Marine site. Might at least get you started.

I am about as far from an expert as you can get. I assume the stainless prop will have a different pitch than the existing aluminum one. I wonder if there is a benefit to seeing how the current alum prop does to help with the conversion.

I assume you are looking at a stainless steel prop for performance. What gains do you expect? Just curious.

You should run your current alum prop to get what your WOT rpm’s are and top speed. Also test the hole shot. Working from a known performance will help you get much closer to what you want. If you are lucky to have a prop shop near by, see if they will let you try before you buy.

There is a prop selector tool on the Mercury Marine site. Might at least get you started.

I am about as far from an expert as you can get. I assume the stainless prop will have a different pitch than the existing aluminum one. I wonder if there is a benefit to seeing how the current alum prop does to help with the conversion.

I assume you are looking at a stainless steel prop for performance. What gains do you expect? Just curious.
To be honest, I'm not looking for much of anything. This is my first tin boat with anything other than a 9.9. I've been running glass boats for the last 25 years and just figured a stainless prop would be more durable? Maybe I'm over thinking it?

You should run your current alum prop to get what your WOT rpm’s are and top speed. Also test the hole shot. Working from a known performance will help you get much closer to what you want. If you are lucky to have a prop shop near by, see if they will let you try before you buy.
That's a good idea. I don't have a clue what kinda performance to expect from this set up, I know i'm not gonna be drag racing anyone but I would like to get the most out of the set up as I can. Thanks for the info

Stainless props tend to have more cupping than their aluminum counterparts…….so they hang on a little better at higher trim levels and provide bette grip in fast tight turns. with a 60hp you won’t notice much difference………..as you go up in hp it’s more significant.

To be honest, I'm not looking for much of anything. This is my first tin boat with anything other than a 9.9. I've been running glass boats for the last 25 years and just figured a stainless prop would be more durable? Maybe I'm over thinking it?

I don't think you are over thinking it. Everything I see says a SS prop would be more durable .. On the other side, you could pick up and keep a spare alum prop on hand and spend less. IMO, a valid case can be made either way.

Perfomance wise there really isn't much to be had on that size motor. That's a lot of money to get an extra mile per hour or two.

As for durability, just depends on where you use your motor. I have a buddy that spends a lot of time in shallow rivers, and is just generally hard on stuff, an aluminum prop will only last him a few months. I typically never stray from the big water and have ran aluminum props for years with minimal damage.

Actually, moving to a nice stainless prop can make a HUGE difference with a 60 HP.

My 50 HP was lackluster with an aluminum prop. I went to a stainless I had laying around, and WOW!!!! It jumped 10 MPH at WOT and responds better at all speeds. It's like night and day.

So you are probably not overthinking it.

Actually, moving to a nice stainless prop can make a HUGE difference with a 60 HP.

My 50 HP was lackluster with an aluminum prop. I went to a stainless I had laying around, and WOW!!!! It jumped 10 MPH at WOT and responds better at all speeds. It's like night and day.

I had two identical 3 blade props for my 60hp Merc, one stainless one aluminum. The aluminum was actually damaged a little and the difference was still minimal, 1-2mph on the top and it jumped out of the hole a little better. Hardly worth it for a few hundred bucks.

If you got that much of an increase, something must have been wrong with your old prop.

OK, that is significant enough to catch my attention. When swapping over, how did you determine which SS prop spec's?

I had two identical 3 blade props for my 60hp Merc, one stainless one aluminum. The aluminum was actually damaged a little and the difference was still minimal, 1-2mph on the top and it jumped out of the hole a little better. Hardly worth it for a few hundred bucks.

If you got that much of an increase, something must have been wrong with your old prop.
Nothing was wrong with the old prop. It was a nice, clean prop. It just didn't have the architecture. This hull and motor combination required a lot more cup. The original prop was very "flat" and didn't take advantage of the power I had on hand.

But you make a good point. Some aluminum props ARE well designed. I've had some that performed nearly the same as SS too. OMC props are generally very good, as are Yamaha props. Just not this one. It was pretty lame.

Last edited:
OK, that is significant enough to catch my attention. When swapping over, how did you determine which SS prop spec's?
And THAT is the question of the hour

In an aluminum boat, I generally start with the same general size and pitch and see what happens. Sometimes, you have to go down a pitch or two, sometimes up, and sometimes it stays the same.

Some props will accelerate better, some will give a higher top speed, but when you find the right one, you will know it immediately, as it will do BOTH. That is what I found for my Princecraft. The magic prop. I'll go out and tell you what it is later today.

I happen to have 30-40 props behind my shop, so I often have the luxury of trying various props without any cost, but when I run across a motor that I don't have props for, I go to my local marina, and they give me a number of them to try right there. They usually cost a little more than buying online, but that kind of service is worth the extra $40 all day long!

I used to play with bass boats, and it's incredible the difference a prop makes. Just a different model can give very different results. Rakers, Raker II's, Trophy's, Quicksilvers.... The list goes on and on. There are entire forums dedicated to just that subject, and it's incredibly complicated.

I had a 19' Cajun with a 150 Evinrude Intruder that came with a clean 24p stainless prop. Can't remember the brand. Boat would do 52-53, which seemed okay, but a bit lackluster. I wondered if the engine was getting weak or something. I traded the prop for a 24P Ballistic, and that jumped it to to 60-61 with awesome holeshot. Very happy.

On the forums, everyone said that the Raker was the choice prop for my combo, so I tried one, and got 63 at top end, but the holeshot was lame. Plugged the vents and it dropped to 60, but the holeshot was better. Raised the motor a hole, dropped it a hole and so on. But in the end, I went back to the Ballistic. That was a great prop for that boat. Super consistent performance at all speeds.

Sometimes you can find "the one" and it's great when you do!

Here is the prop that really worked out for my 16' Princecraft:
Resized_20230727_093308.jpeg

Resized_20230727_093255.jpeg

I'm actually not sure what brand that is, but it's an 11.75" x 17 pitch. It's a very "curvy" blade, with lots of cup. Not even sure where I got it. It came off some motor somewhere along the line, but it's awesome on this boat.

My boat went from maxing out at maybe 28 mph to easily hitting 37 with more to go. When I trim up, it wants to porpoise pretty hard. I could do stuff to fix that, but cruising at 30 is more than enough speed for me in this rig.
Resized_20230207_160051.jpeg

What boat-engine combination are you running, Dubs?

18' Gregor walk-thru with 50 HP Honda four stroke w/ PT&T. Semi V hull. Boat is rated for 60 HP max. 750# dry hull weight. Going to be at least 1200# with the motor, me, and all the crap I have in it. 32 MPH WOT. I have a tach sitting on the table waiting for me to install.

Current prop is 11.1x13

The prop on my boat is a Mercury BlackMax, it has F10.63 X 12P stamped on it. I'll have to run this thing and see what kinda RPM's it's hitting and do some research on what RPM's it should be turning. I'll probably just run this thing and be happy, I sure don't want to drop $200 bucks and guess wrong on what pitch to run. Unfortunately I don't have a dealer anywhere close to me to "try out" some props. I appreciate all the information y'all have given

18' Gregor walk-thru with 50 HP Honda four stroke w/ PT&T. Semi V hull. Boat is rated for 60 HP max. 750# dry hull weight. Going to be at least 1200# with the motor, me, and all the crap I have in it. 32 MPH WOT. I have a tach sitting on the table waiting for me to install.

Current prop is 11.1x13
My first thought for that combo is a 13P, but if you can borrow a 15p, it might be interesting.

My boat started with a 15P aluminum, but the stainless one was a 17P. I thought it would be way too steep, but wow. You never really know with props until you try them.

The prop on my boat is a Mercury BlackMax, it has F10.63 X 12P stamped on it. I'll have to run this thing and see what kinda RPM's it's hitting and do some research on what RPM's it should be turning. I'll probably just run this thing and be happy, I sure don't want to drop $200 bucks and guess wrong on what pitch to run. Unfortunately I don't have a dealer anywhere close to me to "try out" some props. I appreciate all the information y'all have given
You might want to check Facebook Marketplace and Craiglist.

Every once in awhile, I'll put up an ad, Looking To Buy or Trade Prop for a (motor model)" I almost always find someone who wants to trade.

Takes a minute and is worth the time.