16.5' tracker with 4 adults...What size motor?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hookedontronics

Reaction score
I'm building a tracker duck boat and my origional thought to put a tiller handle on the 60hp it came with didn't pan out. Got the tiller handle in yesterday but it doesn't fit my swivel bracket for the power tilt/trim, so unless i spend some more $ now and lose the power tilt/trim it's not going to work. I spent $550 on the tiller kit so i'm gonna send that back, sell my 60hp and search for a new motor with a tiller handle.

I need a motor that will move 4 guys in a tracker flat bottom with pods that will be bacially empty inside. Most the time i will only have 2-3 guys in the boat but i don't want it to struggle when we do have 4 guys either. Origionally i wanted a 35hp mud motor but i have some concerns about that not having enough power since mud motors seems to be slower hp for hp than regular water cooled motors.

So i'm looking for suggestions on what size motor i should be looking for? Will a 35hp mud motor actually work for me, or should i set my sights on a xxhp conventional motor?

Thanks in advance