Ordered my first boat, am I getting the proper shaft length?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garrettm02

Reaction score
Hey guys this is my first post. Hopefully of many to come! I just put in an order on my first little boat!

It is a 2015 Tracker Grizzly 1648 with a 20hp Mercury tiller. I didn't know much when I ordered it and relied on the the salesman assuming that he did. The more research I do the more I am starting to question his knowledge as well. I have not signed paperwork yet which brings me to my question...

My boat shows to have a 21" transom. The outboard model he has on the sales order is a Mercury 20 MH. Upon research that motor shows to have a 15" (short) shaft. Is that right for my boat or not? From my little bit of research I am under the assumption now that I need the 20 MLH which has the 20" (long) shaft.

Am I correct and need to bring this to his attention or is he correct and I leave the order as is?

Thanks for all yalls input! I cant wait to get it.

Looks like the Tracker website does show that boat requiring a long shaft rather than the short shaft they ordered you. However, I did read online somewhere that boat can be ordered with a short shaft transom, so you should confirm with them if that is the case.

If they were a decent shop, they would notice that a short shaft motor on a long shaft transom won't be right and correct the problem when the items come in.

Well Im hoping they fix it on their own but Im just not sure. I bought it from a large bass pro here in Dallas that has its own marine service shop so hopefully they know what they are doing. I just don't want to leave it to chance.

Garret - :WELCOME: to Tin Boats.
Please complete your profile when you have time.
Knowing what part of the country you hail from helps
us give you more accurate information.

everyone is correct: a 15" shaft on a 15" transom, 20 to a 20, etc etc etc.

good luck in your new ride !!

Of course you need a long shaft for a 21" transom. I personally would not accept a 15" inch transom , insist on the 21" transom and long shaft, more seaworthy.
Tim

I went and spoke with them yesterday. We got it all fixed up. The boat has a 21" transom and we got the long shaft changed over on the sales order. To cover the cost difference and make up for the inconvenience they are going to give me a $200 bass pro card so that will help cover anchor, PFDs, and all that stuff.

Cool Beans !! if you have never had a boat before, outfitting it with all
the essential operating gear and all the safety items can put a hole in your
wallet rather quickly.
Good Job. You will be more safe and much happier with the higher transom.

And, while you are getting your boating package together, now would be time to
study up on the Navigational Rules of the Road. Boating Etiquette.
USCG approved running lights.
WHAT TO DO and NOT to do in any kind of boating accident.
yada yada yada