1996 Spectrum 18' Sport - Am I crazy?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I asked him directly, and he said it was because he didn't know how to get a title, and it's too big of a project for him. An honest answer. He didn't sugar-coat anything.

You being from PA gives me a bit of pause. It sounds like they may not be very easy to deal with. I know the process here in VA, in MD, and in NC, but I've never dealt with PA before.

Have you dealt with their DNR much?
I’ve dealt with Penndot on trailer issues, nightmare. The PFBC handles boats.

This might help.
https://www.fishandboat.com/Forms-Permits/Documents/pfbc_r2.pdf

I just did a search, and those 18 sports go for a hefty price.

The exact same boat, with the same Force motor is $6,500
1705386226246.png1705386368177.png
1705386271875.png
Another one is $8,000.

Hopefully, I can find another one without quite so many issues.

Honestly, I'd pass. For the time and money you'll put into this you coulda flipped 3 or 4 boats. In my market I could fill my yard up with boats like this. Once you gut it, it's worthless. Unless somebody needs the motor or trailer AND the boat is a tinny. If the boat is glass then you'd have to pay to get rid of it.

There is a nearby state from me that does not require titles on boats, only state reqistrations. I have saw cases where folks go to that state and register their boats that don't have titles....then come back to their own state and apply for a title with that registration.. I have been told by the deputy registrar that a title required state " must" accept the registration from non titled states as proof of ownership as long as the boat is not on a stolen list.
Just some thoughts here....
The flood flippers like to use this method too when they can. Always leery of a title originating from one of these states.

Honestly, I'd pass. For the time and money you'll put into this you coulda flipped 3 or 4 boats. In my market I could fill my yard up with boats like this. Once you gut it, it's worthless. Unless somebody needs the motor or trailer AND the boat is a tinny. If the boat is glass then you'd have to pay to get rid of it.
I don't think it would have taken me much time or money. The last one, I started on June 9 and I finished late August, and I spent MOST of that time figurng out how to cut it apart and how I wanted to proceed. Not many days of actual work. Now that I know the hull, I would have whipped this 18 footer out in a few weeks.

You wrote:
"In my market I could fill my yard up with boats like this."

I'm jealous! Around here, there are VERY FEW good aluminum hulls to restore for a reasonable price. All the ones out there are ridiculously priced. Guys are asking $1,500 for a dented up 12' rowboat around here.

This boat, with a very clean hull, already cleaned out, with most of the removed parts, a trailer and a running engine for $800 (plus my estimate of $200 of my time/fuel to go get) is a CRAZY good deal for around here.

A Force 90 engine in running condition around here is around $1,200 alone. The trailer, maybe $3-400. So, yeah, the hull was free.

You almost NEVER see an 18' aluminum hull go for sale around here. I look at listings daily, and that is the first one I can remember since I bought the Starcraft Seafarer last year.

I would have kept that one for me to keep. I would have sold the 16 Sport for a tidy profit. The title issue stopped me, and I just found out that I could have filed for an abandoned title. But too late now, it's gone. I'll keep looking. I really like these Spectrum boats.

Two in my area a
A16 for 3000

IMG_5527.png
A 19 for 1750
IMG_5526.pngIMG_5527.png

Thanks for the heads up, Billy!

Too bad that 1950 is an inboard. That would have been perfect. The 18 Sport is actually 19', so it's got the right hull. So maybe I'll find the one I want faster than I think.

I found several other 16's while looking for the ones you posted. One in NY for only $800, but it looked in rough shape, with trees growing out of it. Still, might be a good project for someone:
1705438148665.png

The other, in Massachusetts, is probably the best deal I have seen. In running condition and doesn't look like it needs any work for $2k:
1705438076079.png

Hopefully, there is another 18 Sport around with a title for a reasonable price.

Thill, how far you willing to drive?

I see them in Pittsburgh and up in Erie from time to time.

The one I missed was 3:40 away. The distance is the main reason for my delay, but I was going to make the drive after finding out he had most of the pieces, the pour foam and the VIN of the trailer. But by then it was gone.

So, I'd say 4 hours, but I might drive 5 for the right boat, if I have time that week.

I just checked, and Pittsburg is 4:56 away.

If you see any good ones, let me know!

Force motors around here are almost free. A nice looking 50 has been on the market for months. No takers at a hundred, no takers at fifty even. If it wasn't so damned heavy, I'd snap it up just to have. I try to stick with motors I can get on and off the transom without a lift. On a boat, a Force is the kiss of death. Almost can't give those boats away. I really don't get the hate for Force. From what I've read they are actually pretty good motors.

Force motors around here are almost free. A nice looking 50 has been on the market for months. No takers at a hundred, no takers at fifty even. If it wasn't so damned heavy, I'd snap it up just to have. I try to stick with motors I can get on and off the transom without a lift. On a boat, a Force is the kiss of death. Almost can't give those boats away. I really don't get the hate for Force. From what I've read they are actually pretty good motors.
I've never owned one but its the same here. From what little I know of them in the early years chrysler made them but in the later years mercury had a hand in the production. I've heard people say mariner was a junk brand too which would seem odd considering its really just a yamaha or mercury depending on year. Tohatsu use to get bad mouthed untill people started realizing they make a lot of motors for mercury and others who re badge them.

There is a reason the Force name got ruined.

Bayliner (Brunswick?) bought the company and put them on Bayliners. They were often undersized for the boat, and they were sold CHEAP in grocery stores and malls to people who had NO idea how to operate a 2-stroke.

They literally sold millions and millions of them. Bayliner became the #1 selling boat in the world.

Unfortunately, inexperienced owners would buy them, fill with regular gas, (or maybe use 10W30, if they added oil at all) and they would blow up after a few trips. Of course, Force would not honor the warranty. And so, the hate began!

Not the motor's fault, but there it is. To make it worse, the new 70 HP was a lemon design and would blow up no matter what.

The 85, 90, 120 and 150 are good motors, and are super easy to work on. The small Force engines are pretty dependable, but seem to put out less HP than others of their rating.

Still, for $50, I'd bring a dolly and moving blanket and take it off his hands, as long as it has spark and good compression. The carbs are ridiculously simple to work on. Easier than a tiller carb.

Last edited:
I rebuilt a Spectrum 16 Sport last summer, and it turned out great. I really like the boat.

Recently, I came across an 18 Sport, the bigger version of this same boat. This is pretty appealing to me. It's very similar but is about 2.5 feet longer (19' long) and a foot wider. (7'2" beam) It is pushed by a 90 HP engine, (versus a 60) and only weighs 300 lbs more than the 16 footer, so it should scoot pretty nicely.

This should be a good big and small water vessel. It should be capable enough to handle the Chesapeake Bay and Eastern Shore inlets on moderate days, yet still float high enough to run the lakes and rivers in our area.

I can think of many things I like about it's potential, but there are a lot of negatives. First of all, the boat is stripped and gutted, with a lot of stuff missing. Take a look at these pictures:

View attachment 118665 View attachment 118666

The outside looks decent, but it's a complete wreck inside. Here is how the boat was inside when he got it:

View attachment 118667

He thought he was going to redo the boat, so he gutted it out even more:

View attachment 118669
View attachment 118668

As you may have read from my previous rebuild, to replace that transom requires cutting out a lot of the structure and welding it back together. A somewhat daunting task for someone of my meager welding skills, but I got the first one done, so I guess I can do this one, too.

Besides all the work involved in rebuilding this boat, there are two major issues...
  1. He doesn't have all of the pieces that came out of the boat.
  2. He doesn't have title for either the boat or the trailer.
He had the best intentions, but he is over his head and just wants it gone, now. All of this being said, I'm looking at $1k to take the chance on this project boat.

So, what do you think? Am I crazy to pay for this kind of torture?
i'd pass. force motors arent great and with all the missing pieces, i think i would look for a more solid boat. having said this, wander on over to tiny Boot Nation and have a gander. Tons o fun in all that stuff...only takes some skrill and a lot of time.