1960 Mercury 300

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

putback

Reaction score
I have an old 16 ft alum Mohawk 1960ish about ready for an engine. Found a 1960 Mercury Kiekhaefer 300 thunderbolt 4 cyl, suppose to be 35 HP. Includes controls and tank. In storage 40+ yrs. Nice match for my hull. Whats the reputation on these old engines. What about Parts?

Attachments

• mohawk polish2.JPG
    mohawk polish2.JPG
    86.4 KB · Views: 492
When I was growing up in that era) Mercs were frequently towed in by Evinrudes. However when they did run they were out in front.

The carbs were troublesome as I recall. Invest in a sparkplug cleaner too.

Tell you what.....head on over to www.aomci.org and talk to some of the best Vintage Merc wrenches in the country.
Find the "ask a member" section and post away there. From the looks of your boat I am betting the engine will be every bit as nice when you get through with it.
Would love to see more photos of that boat if you don't mind? Keep us up to date with your progress too!

CedarRiverScooter said:
When I was growing up in that era) Mercs were frequently towed in by Evinrudes. However when they did run they were out in front.

]
Oh NO ! Last winter I went through a '62 Evinrude speedtwin 28hp top to bottom. Now ready for paint & decals. The Merc seems a bit more unique especially for this hull. I was really impressed with the very smooth quiet idle in the tank with the 4 cyl. Guessing its near perfect for a dead slow jig hop troll on deep walleye in summer dog days.

Here's some more pics, before and after. Been mostly structure work. bucking rivets, straightening, polishing, transom. About ready to start making her pretty. Found complete windshield & frame today from a '60ish glass arkansaw traveler, 35 bucks but have to take the whole rotted boat. Some good parts if anyone needs them?

Attachments

• P8300348.JPG
    P8300348.JPG
    75.1 KB · Views: 435
  • P8300346.JPG
    P8300346.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 435
  • P8300350.JPG
    P8300350.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 435
  • P9060361.JPG
    P9060361.JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 435
  • mohawk polish3.JPG
    mohawk polish3.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 435
  • mohawk polish4.JPG
    mohawk polish4.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 435
Great looking boat but I think I'd rather have that small airstream showing in the last pic. LoL I've always loved the looks of the airstream trailers but the prices on those things have gotten way out of hand lately.