need some suggestions for powering a new 1540 alumacraft jon

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbobcat

Reaction score
so my question is, I am sold on the Suzuki efi 4 stroke, but having a tough time deciding between the tiller 20 HP elec or spend the extra money and get the 25 HP Suzuki, elec, with remote, the cost difference is significant, but do the benefits of having a console, power tilt, etc, bring their own value, for the record I am 60 plus so comfort is a factor, thanks

BigBob, :WELCOME: to Tin Boats.
I myself, am way over 60 . . . there is no way my back would allow
me to sit in an awkward position to do a tiller steer. Plus, the safety
factor. I think the percentage of people being thrown or falling out of
their boats is tremendously higher for tillers vs remote. (just my observation).
To weigh everything together, you will be 70 soon and then you will be starting
to think about how you wish you had gotten the remote 25hp when you had the chance.

btw, what is your previous boating experience ?

Jus my Dos Centavos

Most of my fishing is bay fishing is on the mid coast of Texas but grew up in tin boats running trot lines
I have a 19 foot make but wanted the Jon boat to expand my fishing

I have decided to bite the bullet and get the remote steering, I am quite sure you are right and my back will thank you later. As I move forward I am sure I will have some more questions about adding a console, steering, etc. I will be submitting photos as I go. It should be lots of fun :)

The only thing I really, REALLY wish I had for my boat would be power tilt/trim. I will never own another boat that doesn't have it. And I vote for remote steering.

I vote for tiller. MUCH more maneuverable!

and the console isn't in the way, which might be an issue with a 1540 which is already on the small side.

To each his own. I've had both and went from a console steered boat with PT&T, BACK to a tiller steer flat bottom. Go everywhere with the tiller that I did with the console and a whole lot more. Those bass boats can't get into the sticks. And sometimes that's where the best fishin' is at.

Briefly had an older Duracraft (Noah) 1542, with a console steer 25. Easy to operate but not very maneuverable.

PT&T on a tiller is, IMO, the best way to go.

As far as 20hp vs 25, look at the weights of the 2. Lot of times the 15 and 20 are the same motor (other than the 5 hp difference) and the 25 gets a huge weight increase.

In wide open water with nothing to work around, or you're good at loading on the trailer in current or wind, the console might be ok. At first I liked mine but later on the space that the console took up kind of got in the way, especially if I had a fishing partner. I wasn't WANTING to sell it, just got the right guy make an offer and couldn't keep it, if that makes any sense.

Tiller is way more maneuverable than console, not to mention the x-tra room.

Dont know why anyone would have a non electric trim motor these days.

Just turned 59 in august with no problems steering or handling my boat.
good luck!

good luck!

good luck!

Latest posts