Ebay parts..at least clean off old gasket..

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sinkingfast

Reaction score
Trying to look at some parts on ebay and i can't believe the used parts with old torn gaskets still on them. When checking for salt damage or other it would be nice to see gasket surface. Golly gee whizz... if asking for premium price clean the damm part.

I feel better now...

Please don't go there.... I'm waiting on a used eBay pump motor, resivior and valve assembly and I'm worried enough. Lol

Never bought anything off of Ebay and not sure if I could trust a seller, selling me a good condition part. I am looking for a remote controller right now for my Jon, and see some of the prices are pretty ridicules for used/older remotes.

Sinkingfast said:
Trying to look at some parts on ebay and i can't believe the used parts with old torn gaskets still on them. When checking for salt damage or other it would be nice to see gasket surface. Golly gee whizz... if asking for premium price clean the damm part.

I feel better now...
Now you need to copy that into a msg to the seller and hope it does some good.

Shoedawg said:
Never bought anything off of Ebay and not sure if I could trust a seller, selling me a good condition part. I am looking for a remote controller right now for my Jon, and see some of the prices are pretty ridicules for used/older remotes.
Nothing wrong with buying off ebay, but you need to do your homework. There are "knockoffs/fakes" on ebay so if the price seems too amazing, it probably is. Check the sellers feedback history, make sure he's got a high feedback score, if he's a top rated seller, that's a plus, etc, etc.

yep - a thorn in my side too.

Looking for a replacement steering shaft for my lawn mower
and found only ONE on ebay that fits my mower.
The seller is new, brand new, zero "0" transactions so far.
here is his part that I need - $10. a new one is $40.

s-l140.jpg

I asked if he could at least brush off the gunk so I could see the
gear more closely - - - he said, "I am listing hundreds of items,
we don't have time to clean every item up" CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS FOOL ??
I can't tell if his part is any good or not, my worn out gear looks better
than his . . . so, I'm gonna pass. He offers NO REFUNDS.
GGGrrrrrrrrr some people are just too stupid to see the door.

Stumpalump - did you get your parts ?? how was it ?

I was looking on ebay to find a very specific o-ring for the filter bowl on my old evinrude. Searched everywhere I could think of to locate one and stumbled onto MarineEngine.com if anyone has heard of them. They specialize in antique motor parts and repair manuals. I highly recommend them especially for obscure parts!

Johnny said:
Stumpalump - did you get your parts ?? how was it ?

I got it but it was not working. What I bought was trim motor assembly. Trim motor that bolts to a resivior that also houses the hydrolic valves. I needed all three because the motor would not spin. Trying to take it off busted the rusty bolts off in the resivior. The valves leaked when the motor did work causing the outboard to constantly drift down. New parts are unavailable or hundreds of dollars.

This thing has three wires (of course it was just cut with no connector) up, down and ground. Stupid simple to test it but it never was. Luckily it did not break bolts when I took it apart but the inside of the electric motor was horrifying. Sombody cut and spiced in a rusty old brush assembly. It had so much electrical tape inside they must have pounded it together cutting wires and made a big mess. No response from email to seller. Long story making one motor out of two but once bolted to the resivior/valve body it worked great and was happy to find it for $100.99. Left a 2 out of 5 for feedback. There was no feedback or history on this guy.

JMichael said:
Shoedawg said:
Nothing wrong with buying off ebay, but you need to do your homework. There are "knockoffs/fakes" on ebay so if the price seems too amazing, it probably is. Check the sellers feedback history, make sure he's got a high feedback score, if he's a top rated seller, that's a plus, etc, etc.

I agree. There is nothing wrong with e-bay if you do your homework. I have purchased hundreds of items off of e-bay and never had a major problem. I have sold a few items also and only had one issue. I was selling a locker shelf and the bidder who won the auction didn't pay for the item. I didn't ship the item. I think she may have died or something because after the auction her account was not used again. Her feedback was good but it never had any more after the auction. I purchase items on e-bay not only for myself but for friends, family and co-workers. If someone needs something they seem to come to me to find it for them.

You're screwed if you do, and screwed if you don't (as an ebay seller).

Clean the parts up and the buyer says you ruined it during the scraping/cleaning process. Don't clean them and buyers will call it junk. Both ways, the buyer gets a full refund and has to pay to ship the item back. And if those two aren't bad enough, if a buyer "doesn't want it", the seller is then required to pay to have it shipped back and the buyer gets a full refund. Shipping isn't cheap and it comes out of the pocket of the seller. Sellers know this and they have to adjust the pricing of their items a little to help offset the potential cost.

eBay has done an excellent job. At favoring the buyer. If the buyer doesn't like, doesn't want, or if the buyer is backstabbing lying pile of trash, he (or she) can (and frequently DOES) take advantage of you, the seller. I can't tell you how many times in the last few years that a buyer has stated that they "did not get the item".....in one instance, the item was taken to the buyer IN PERSON, delivered to his wife in person (they live 35 minutes from me); and then the buyer filed a claim that it was never shipped. Yep. Full refund and buyer kept the stuff. Oh, and negative feed back.

These practices by eBay are KILLING the eBay market, and is exactly why eBay has become more of a "store" than an online auction site. I use the many facebook online auction pages way more than I do eBay these days, get more money for the item, deliver it in person with no shipping (unless they ask for shipping), etc.