Johnson 3 cyl 35 hp - Runs for while then dies

Have a question about your motor? All motor talk and questions go here.
rktman

Post by rktman » 10 May 2016, 09:37

Jaguar Jim,
What did you mean by the quick start?
I've noticed it takes a few times trying to start it (2-3) before it fires up (even after running for a while).
Before it would start right up.
Thanks.

RazorBaits
perchjerker

Post by perchjerker » 10 May 2016, 10:01

rktman wrote:Jaguar Jim,
What did you mean by the quick start?
I've noticed it takes a few times trying to start it (2-3) before it fires up (even after running for a while).
Before it would start right up.
Thanks.
I found this for you doing a search from a post on Iboats

QuikStart is a feature of the powerpack that advances the timing whenever the engine is started. After five seconds, the timing will return to normal if the engine temperature exceeds 96 degrees or if the RPM exceeds 1100, whichever occurs first. The change in timing is quite noticable.

Most of the QuikStart powerpacks have a black and white wire from the temperature switch on the cylinder head in addition to the normal tan wire for the alarm.

rktman

Post by rktman » 01 Aug 2016, 15:11

I know this is old but I still haven't tracked the problem down yet. Purely by coincidence, I watched a guy running his Evinrude 3 cyl 25 hp (same motor as my Johnson 3 cyl).
His did the exact same thing. It will run fine for a 5-10 minutes, then starts coughing, then just dies. Wait a few minutes, runs fine (only for a brief period), shuts down..repeat.
Pumping with a hard bulb doesn't change anything, fuel is in carbs and filter. Like me, the other guy replaced plugs, CDI box at $400, switch primer bulbs/tanks, cleaned carbs, checked compression, stator checked, unplugged temp sensor, etc.

It seems to be a hot fail condition somewhere but its hard to diagnose.

Any recommendations? Its just too good of a motor to give up on.

Florida_Native

Post by Florida_Native » 01 Aug 2016, 18:12

Maybe this sounds obvious but how old is the fuel? The fuel we get now from gas pumps contains ethanol, which if left in a tank for 3 weeks or more it will start to turn to water.

I know it sounds strange but has happened to me numerous times. I only use non-ethanol fuel now, it's harder to find and more expensive but it runs much better in a boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
16' Polar Kraft Duck Boat in Progress

rktman

Post by rktman » 01 Aug 2016, 18:59

Florida_Native wrote:Maybe this sounds obvious but how old is the fuel? The fuel we get now from gas pumps contains ethanol, which if left in a tank for 3 weeks or more it will start to turn to water.

I know it sounds strange but has happened to me numerous times. I only use non-ethanol fuel now, it's harder to find and more expensive but it runs much better in a boat.

Different tank, all new gas and oil mix, same result.

Florida_Native

Post by Florida_Native » 01 Aug 2016, 20:46

Not sure then, I have almost the same motor. A 97 evinrude 25hp however mine is a 2 cylinder. Thing runs like a champ.

When it dies, is the primer bulb still hard?

Pappy
Donor

Post by Pappy » 01 Aug 2016, 21:09

Sounds like you replaced the power pack only.
If you scroll back up to page one I told you to replace both the pack and the eye. They should be replaced together.
Florida Native....your engine isn't even close to these 3-cylinder engines!

Florida_Native

Post by Florida_Native » 01 Aug 2016, 22:45

Pappy wrote:Sounds like you replaced the power pack only.
If you scroll back up to page one I told you to replace both the pack and the eye. They should be replaced together.
Florida Native....your engine isn't even close to these 3-cylinder engines!
Yeah a lot better I guess!

rktman

Post by rktman » 02 Aug 2016, 08:04

It seems odd the electric eye would be affected by heat, since its not a coil type device but I'll try anything at this point.

perchjerker

Post by perchjerker » 02 Aug 2016, 08:26

rktman wrote:It seems odd the electric eye would be affected by heat, since its not a coil type device but I'll try anything at this point.
any electronic component can be affected by heat

Pappy
Donor

Post by Pappy » 02 Aug 2016, 10:48

rktman wrote:It seems odd the electric eye would be affected by heat, since its not a coil type device but I'll try anything at this point.
Rktman - I know you may not trust what I am telling you. May ease your mind to read profiles of those who are trying to guide you once in a while, no matter the forum you are in. :D

rktman

Post by rktman » 02 Aug 2016, 15:22

No offense intended pap, just have to spend money carefully on a 17 year old motor.
I really dislike the replace it and see what happens method but apparently there is no way to test the Electric eye sensor.

perchjerker

Post by perchjerker » 02 Aug 2016, 16:18

rktman wrote:No offense intended pap, just have to spend money carefully on a 17 year old motor.
I really dislike the replace it and see what happens method but apparently there is no way to test the Electric eye sensor.
If you take Pappy's advice you ARE spending your money carefully

Pappy
Donor

Post by Pappy » 02 Aug 2016, 21:24

Wasn't offended in the least. You will get a lot of recommendations here that are either solid or can cost you one Hell of a lot of money. By reading the profiles sometimes you gain insight into who may have a better chance of helping.
Hey, sometimes I don't take my own advice!
I own (4) of the 3-clyinder Looper 25/35 engines and had your same issue this spring. The engine I am talking about was a 1996 or 20 years old. Doesn't owe me a dime at this point.
I popped a pack on it and Lesa and I made it about 15 miles and poof. Luckily we were sort of on our way back. The trolling motor took us a full 9 miles back to the ramp. Did what I knew I should have done to begin with and put the eye on there and was good to go. Not to say there is a guarantee to anything I ever recommend doing but the best dealers out there were replacing both as a pair on the 60 degree V-4 and V-6 engines to keep comebacks to a minimum. It's not like we knew everything, dealers taught us as well as engineering did and whatever advice I give is based on one Hell of a lot of experience. Nothing more nothing less.

rktman

Post by rktman » 14 Aug 2016, 23:56

I replaced the timing base/electric eye and ran it for 2-3 hours with no problems. Thanks for the advice Pappy.