25 Merc tiller trim question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

water bouy

Reaction score
The Mercury 25 hp XD on my 14 ft vee wants to scoot to the right more than I do even at idle speed. I see some people saying the amount of trim affects steering more than the trim plate. The trim adjustment pin is in the 3rd hole from the transom. Does the pin need to move back and if so, what's the ideal spot. Two batteries sit between the middle bench and the front bench, one on each side.

It came with this 9.9.

Lh46AL7l.jpg

If I have my motor trimmed to high my boat scoots on turns if you move the pin closer to the transom if will bring the nose of the boat down and give you more stabile steering. Every load is different if I'm by myself on my boat the trim pin is in the middle hole but if I have anyone with me I put the trim pin in the farthest hole from the transom to help bring the nose up with the extra weight of a Friend in the front of the boat. You will have to play with different trim settings and weight distribution.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

What you are experiencing is the same thing you would experience if you were a pilot and flying a "Taildragger". Something called "P" factor. During take-off and before the tail of the plane comes up the nose of the plane sits high and tail low which means the lower half of the propeller blade is the leading blade and is primarily moving in one direction. This torques the airplane around the vertical axis in one direction and you have to add rudder to counteract it. As the tail comes up the "P" factor subsides as both blades become equal pullers and torque is somewhat negated.
In a boat, with the engine trimmed down all the way the lower blade is the leading blade and will torque to one side. Trim it up and both blades begin to pull equally. Continue to trim up and the steering torque will start to go in the opposite direction as the upper blade swing is now the leading blade and is moving in the opposite direction the lower blade was. Make sense now?

I never would have guessed that in a million years. Ha. Sounds like the bottom of my motor needs to move away from the transom. The same thing must happen at idle speed if the motor is at an angle.

Basically, in trimming the running angle of the engine to the boat you want the most efficient set up. Best speed or hole shot...take your pick as usually with fixed trim engines you cannot achieve both at the same trim setting. If your engine has an adjustable trim tab then steering torque can be minimized easily using the tab.

This motor has me stumped. I adjusted the trim tab so it points to the right which helped a little at low speed but once it's at full speed it has no affect. It pulls so hard I can only travel short distances or my arm will give out. The rear seat is slightly to the right of the center line so I moved both batteries to the left to see if it helped. It didn't. The motor is now in the second trim hole from the transom which gets the boat on top of the water faster than it did in the 3rd hole.

Turns out there's a steering tension screw which was loose. If tightening it doesn't do it I may look around for some kind of directional stabilizer you mount to the skeg or the boat.

Anyone tried a Steering Torque Tab Kit #821077A1 .

Okay, the steering screw you tightened is not the answer although it will help at low speed.
Go back to my post.
You can make adjustments to the tab that will make a difference only at the trim angle and speed you normally run most of the time. If you change trim angle the existing tab setting is no longer correct. If you change throttle the trim tab setting will no longer be correct.
If it pulls that hard and you want to try the torque tamer by all means go ahead. They can be trimmed to fit any skeg and if you find you do not need that much tab they can also be ground down to suit you.
You have to first understand that not all throttle settings and trim angles will be covered. Anytime you advance or retard throttle the amount of torque will change. Have you changed the tab angle while underway to counteract this? Nope. Anytime you change trim angle while up on plane and running you have changed directional torque. Have you changed the tab while underway to counteract this? Nope. See what I am talking about here? The tab is fixed and you are throwing two variables at a fixed tab. There is no "do-all" cure for this.

I ordered one off ebay which will be here in a few days. I'm anxious to get most of the pull out of it so I can fish the rest of the lake. Once the boat planes the trim tab is out of the water so I'll use it to offset the torque tamer at low speeds.

I just assume it's out of the water since it has no affect at full speed. This kind of thing probably didn't matter when I was young and strong but that was a long time ago.

I installed a torque tab and tied a doubled up piece of shock cord to the tiller handle and we're good to go. At full speed I can let go and it doesn't move in either direction. It makes an enormous difference not fighting the motor.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/192089784369

https://www.ebay.com/itm/261719976660

Latest posts